Asking for recommendation on dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lifelyjump

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a relative Novice in diving and I want to seek your advice on certain matters on gear since I have mind to purchase them myself.

1) I have my eye on the Cressi Leonardo dive computer and I want to get it via scubastore. Does anyone has any experience with this site?
2) Is annual testing required for dive watches? I have done some research but them I keep getting conflicting answers. It seems that the test on watch cost something like 70 USD.
3) For a beginner, is there any recommendations on fins? Not sure if this information helps but I will be diving in warm water.

Thanks in advance

I purchased the leonardo as my first dive computer and have been happy with it thus far. Granted this is the only computer I've ever used so i have nothing to compare it to. My only complaint is that in very low light situations, the display can be a little dim as the backlight is not that strong. The beep is clearly audile underwater. Simple 1 button interface. I purchased the cable to sync to computer and everything has worked great

You can get PADI or SSI certified on a dive computer: 1. if you have an instructor and 2. Go to Dive Computer Training and complete the course on the computer you have. Once completed you print out a certificate and give it to your instructor who forwards it on to the appropriate licensing body.

So far I have completed the Mares Icon HD and the Suunto Zoop, both pretty good courses.

Read this (all of it):

So you want to buy a new computer?

No, you don't need to have your computer serviced annually.

I would suggest you make sure whatever you buy has a battery that can be changed by you (or anyone that can change a regular watch battery).

I would suggest to not buy any computer until you've read the thread I linked, understand what your options are for different algorithms in your dive computer, and how they will affect your diving now and in the next year or two (or more).

Search the Computers for sale Classifieds here on ScubaBoard for any computers you are considering buying to see if you can find ones that are for sale or were sold in the past and if you can see why people were selling them.

Hint: Some computers you commonly see being sold because they use an algorithm that the owner has decided is too conservative. In contrast, you pretty much never see anyone selling the computer because the algorithm was too liberal. Some computers you rarely see for sale at all. That could be because nobody uses them or it could be because the people who have them like them so much they keep them. Others you see for sale because they are great computers, but a new-and-improved model has come out and the owner wants the new features.

For fins, all I would say is to avoid split fins unless you know what the split does for you and think you need that. Generally speaking, I think the only people who really need split fins are persons who are not very physically fit, or perhaps older (no offense to anyone who uses them! I am aware that there are plenty of very fit, young people who use them - I'm talking who NEED them), as split fins are less likely to fatigue your legs or give you cramps. But, that is at the expense of reduced thrust to swim against current and reduced ability to do more advanced kicks like frog kicks or back kicks.

I just went through these same decisions. On top of the computer thread referenced above, you may also want to view Fins: Full Foot or Open Heel? to give you some things to think about fins.

I opted for the Mares Puck Pro for my first computer over the Cressi because the Mares comes with an automatic safety stop timer that the Cressi doesn't have. I'm also buying my wife the Mares Smart computer as it uses the same algorithm as mine and will be smaller on her wrist (the Puck Pro, like a lot of computers is kinda massive).

We opted for full foot fins as we plan to do most of our diving in warm Caribbean water (and because I have no issue buying a pair of open heel fins and boots to use in cold water). We both have the Tusa Solla full foot fins and couldn't be happier with them, no fatigue, cramping, and with plenty of power if needed.

There is a lot of great advice on this board, but be cautious about information overload. I realized on my 3rd spreadsheet comparing various fins and computers that I was getting a little inundated with information.

On the fins front, I highly recommend trying them on and buying from your local dive shop. A computer is a computer, but things like fins, masks and wetsuits need to fit properly. You'll only be able to figure this out by trying them on.

On the fins front, I highly recommend trying them on and buying from your local dive shop. A computer is a computer, but things like fins, masks and wetsuits need to fit properly. You'll only be able to figure this out by trying them on.

I totally agree with this (fit is paramount on wetsuits and masks!) and with supporting your local shop in general. However, if that doesn't work for you for whatever reason. LeisurePro has a great return policy. Before I bought my first wetsuit, I ordered 3 different ones from LP, intending to keep whichever one fit the best. As it turned out, none of them fit just right and I ended up returning them all and buying a suit from my local shop that fit me perfectly. No muss, no fuss. I think it only cost me return shipping, which was well worth it (to me) for the ability to try on so many different options.

Hi all,

I am a relative Novice in diving and I want to seek your advice on certain matters on gear since I have mind to purchase them myself.

1) I have my eye on the Cressi Leonardo dive computer and I want to get it via scubastore. Does anyone has any experience with this site?
2) Is annual testing required for dive watches? I have done some research but them I keep getting conflicting answers. It seems that the test on watch cost something like 70 USD.
3) For a beginner, is there any recommendations on fins? Not sure if this information helps but I will be diving in warm water.

Thanks in advance
Howdy! Let's see if I can help out with your questions!

1. I don't have personal experience with the Leonardo, but I have heard decent feedback on it. What is it about that computer that catches your eye? What features do you like/dislike? There are a number of good computers on the market for newer divers so be sure to understand what's out there and get what's best for you.
2. Most often not. However, it's a good idea to get it checked out when you get your other gear serviced. You can get the battery changed, seal checked, and a functional test done to make sure you're good to go.
3. My advice on fins is often simpler is better. Also, consider yourself, your physical abilities, and they locations you are diving. What fins that you have looked at appeal to you? Why?

Hope this helps. There is a great deal of experience in here, it's good to see you using it!

In contrast, you pretty much never see anyone selling the computer because the algorithm was too liberal. Some computers you rarely see for sale at all. That could be because nobody uses them or it could be because the people who have them like them so much they keep them.
Computers that really are too liberal get people bent. Nobody will be selling you new a computer (or regulator) that are not safe to use due to the liability issues. There are some few older computers that are questionable for people doing serious decompression dives, I'm not familiar with any computers that had issues for people doing NDL dives. But the whole liberal/conservative computer issues is overblown, getting one that you can easily read and understand how to effectively use is more important.

My quick advice on computers... get a cheap one (Zoop/ Leonardo/ ect.) or get a top of the line one Shearwater (Pedrix AI). The cheap ones and the top of the line ones always have people looking to buy them if you get out of the hobby, or love it and you want to upgrade (the Pedrix will not need to be upgraded for several years... maybe even a few decades).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom