Asia Recommendations needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cookie123

New
Reaction score
Hi, looking to travel in may/June, if I had to choose 2 between the following 3 choices, which 2 would you recommend out of:-
- Layang layang
- Raja Ampat
- Tubbataha

thanks!

i have no idea where any of those places are......but "Tubbataha" sounds awesome......lol

I’d take the simple approach and eliminate Tubbataha because of this travel advisory from the US Department of State.

Philippines

Raj Amphat, but not just any resort there. There is a new resort less than two years old built on the previously uninhabited islands of Palau Pef. Only holds 18 guests and everyone on the island works for the hotel/resort. Really pristine reef.
Would stay away from Phillipines at the moment. They are none to happy about the US Navy crashing a warship onto their reef in a marine park.

Cheers
Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

That's a tough one.

Layang Layang in May offers the potential for seeing the migrating hammerheads. Absolutely thrilling. And the place is so remote with such deep walls that it's pretty much a magnet for marine life. Very rich. If it ends up being June, you may miss the hammers, but the rest of the diving is still going to be very good.

Raja Ampat in May is also excellent. I would recommend a liveaboard, or if land-based, going to the northern area rather than the southern area. The mantas and the wobbegongs are in the north. In June the boats will be relocating to Komodo, so your selection of liveaboards would be greatly diminished.

Tubbataha is really seasonal and the season ends in June, so again, May is a good time to go. Boats fill up fast, though, and tend to be rather expensive for what you get. I wouldn't worry even one minute about that travel advisory--it's for a different part of the country. And I wouldn't worry about the warship having run aground--the boats you'd be on wouldn't be US-registered and the Philippine Navy won't care about the nationality of dive boat passengers.

If you were my customer, I'd need more information than what you've given (just the month) in order to guide your choice. I'd have to know about your budget, your creature-comfort expectations, your dive history, etc.

Tubbataha and Layang.
There is international flight between Manila and Kota Kinabalu.
May is the best time to dive both places. Peak season so you have to book early.
Unfortunately there aren't that many boats going to Tubbataha nowadays!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom