Asia Long Trip Backpacker's Budget - Revisited - Need your help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Scotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
All,

This is what I'm thinking (dates are flexible, but this itinerary works out with the rainy seasons):

Oct:
-Malaysian Borneo: Sipidan, Mabul, etc. Mt Kinabalu, Orangutans... get an Indonesian visa in Tawau
-Indonesian Borneo: just see what happens for activities, get to a Pelni (ferry) to Sulawesi

Nov:
-Sulawesi, Indonesia: Bunaken, Lembeh, etc. (realistic on a backpackers budget?) fly to Bali
-Bali, Indonesia: Dive, Dive, Dive... get to Komodo cheaply?

Dec:
-Java, Indonesia: Yeah it's the rainy season, but it actually sounds kind of nice that way. Beaches, surfing, diving, architecture, animals. etc. Fly to Phuket.

Jan:
-Thailand: Similans and other diving, don't feel the need plan much else just see what happens.
-Angkor Wat: Check this out late in the month
-....BURMA???... (million dollar question)

Feb:
Phillipines? Burma? Vietnam (pretty sure we'll make it there)?

At this point we'll be totally broke... be broke in the US or Fly to Australia and literally have the "I have no money, seriously" adventure there???

Thoughts?

-Scotty

All,

This is what I'm thinking (dates are flexible, but this itinerary works out with the rainy seasons):

Oct:
-Malaysian Borneo: Sipidan, Mabul, etc. Mt Kinabalu, Orangutans... get an Indonesian visa in Tawau
-Indonesian Borneo: just see what happens for activities, get to a Pelni (ferry) to Sulawesi

Nov:
-Sulawesi, Indonesia: Bunaken, Lembeh, etc. (realistic on a backpackers budget?) fly to Bali
-Bali, Indonesia: Dive, Dive, Dive... get to Komodo cheaply?

Dec:
-Java, Indonesia: Yeah it's the rainy season, but it actually sounds kind of nice that way. Beaches, surfing, diving, architecture, animals. etc. Fly to Phuket.

Jan:
-Thailand: Similans and other diving, don't feel the need plan much else just see what happens.
-Angkor Wat: Check this out late in the month
-....BURMA???... (million dollar question)

Feb:
Phillipines? Burma? Vietnam (pretty sure we'll make it there)?

At this point we'll be totally broke... be broke in the US or Fly to Australia and literally have the "I have no money, seriously" adventure there???

Thoughts?

-Scotty

My thoughts:

#1 I'd recommend starting out in Bali in early October, or more specifically, Nusa Lembongan, to see the mola molas which are still usually in residence a couple of weeks into October (though it's at the end of their stay). This is really a must-do, if you are anywhere nearby during the time the molas are.

#2 Lembeh is affordable on a budget. There aren't huge numbers of operators for budget travelers, but there are some with good reps.

#3 Thailand in December/January is bound to be crowded. I'd wait until late February, and at that time there is a better chance to see big animals as the plankton begins to increase in the water.

#4 Skip Burma. There are so many reasons not to go there, but if you want to stick only to diving motivations, suffice it to say that the reefs are largely bombed out.

#5 Cambodia and Vietnam are both worth the time for land-based touring, but don't spend money on diving there when you can spend it elsewhere to better effect.

These are the most salient thoughts your general plan brought to mind. I have others, but they are not not as pivotal.

Okay, I'll put my two cents in.

Diving wise if you miss the Phils, you'll miss a big part of SEA diving, personally I reckon the Phils are on a par to Indonesia. Much alike Indo, you could spend six months diving in different places except that it is even more diver friendly than most Indonesia (ie. in terms of dive operations I mean).

Topside you cannot miss Burma, this is the most beautiful country of SEA. Unlike Quero, whose opinion I respect, I would say there are plenty of reasons to go there, ideologies must not win over everyday people life and being there is also a message that you don't leave them alone (but the two different views are not the topic of this forum, it's been a long standing debate between the two main leaders of burmese opposition).
You also forget another fascinating country which is Laos, staying in Laos is like a pain reliever, plus it's is cheaper to live than you can imagine.
Vietnam... hmmh.. just for the Mekong delta and Hanoi, otherwise probably the only SEA country where you'll get on your nerves sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom