Asia dive trip this July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just moved to Hong Kong and we are looking to take a week this July to go diving in some tropical paradise nearby.

July seems to be monsoon season for most touristy areas except the Gulf of Thailand. Any recommendations for a diving trip in this part of the world?

Also, are there any other places without a monsoon in July we should be considering?

We will be going with a couple of non-divers + the kids, so something to do other than diving is a must!

Thx!

From Hong Kong, Okinawa is just a short hop away and July is probably one of our best months for diving. Great resorts for non divers and awesome diving.

Philippines is close by, Puerto Galera would be a good option

July seems to be monsoon season for most touristy areas except the Gulf of Thailand. Any recommendations for a diving trip in this part of the world?

Also, are there any other places without a monsoon in July we should be considering?

We will be going with a couple of non-divers + the kids, so something to do other than diving is a must!

Thx!

July is monsoon for most of continental SEA and the Phils, but its the best season for most of the the islands in Indonesia or Malaysia so you can plan a trip to :
Bali obviously.
Kota Kinabalu/Sabah and then a short stay to Sipadan.

Malapascua in The Philippines is a great spot and often a long weekend destination of choice from Hong Kong. Cheap flights with Cebu Pacific go direct to Cebu and arrive at 4am. If you get a private transfer you can be diving by 930am and many often are. Cue Threshers, Mantas and everything else!

July is the so called Typhoon Season is actually all year around here but supposedly more active at that time. We've lost more dive days in Dec Jan due to wind then we ever do in the summer when its hot and the sea is like glass.

Yes, Okinawa here is great for diving, though it's a bit of "luck of the draw" to book in advance and choose a date when a typhoon won't be here, or winds that whip up here from the typhoons that veer off to the Philippines and China.

Otherwise, there's plenty of diving to be done and activities besides for those not heading into the water.

Yes, Okinawa here is great for diving, though it's a bit of "luck of the draw" to book in advance and choose a date when a typhoon won't be here, or winds that whip up here from the typhoons that veer off to the Philippines and China.

Otherwise, there's plenty of diving to be done and activities besides for those not heading into the water.

June and July on Okinawa are pretty much typhoon free. Looking at our shop records for the past few years I do not have a day of diving missed due to typhoons in June or July for the past 5 years. The height of typhoon season on Okinawa is late August - Sept tapering off in October. June/July are normally considered the best months to dive in Okinawa as the winds are normally very calm from the south which opens up all the best spots in the Keramas and the northern part of Okinawa. We also get very little rain during this time so we normally have sunny, calm days for diving.

June and July on Okinawa are pretty much typhoon free. Looking at our shop records for the past few years I do not have a day of diving missed due to typhoons in June or July for the past 5 years. The height of typhoon season on Okinawa is late August - Sept tapering off in October. June/July are normally considered the best months to dive in Okinawa as the winds are normally very calm from the south which opens up all the best spots in the Keramas and the northern part of Okinawa. We also get very little rain during this time so we normally have sunny, calm days for diving.

True, I missed that he was looking for a date in July. Although, wasn't it four years ago that we got hit in July with two large ones? :)

Hey Mike,

Rich Brown here, I use to teach out of the Kadena Marina When Gary Hagland ran it, I was looking back at my log books from Okinawa and saw the same thing!! June and July FILLED my log books with an average of 10-16 dives a week. Love to come back there and live again... already got dialog with Bob Zimm... over there on Foster (if thats where the opps office is).

nothing like the Vis in the Kerama's! 100+ and 80 degrees o my!

talk to you later!
Rich
richbrown71@gmail is my alternate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom