As if life was easy. Yet another U853 video!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampico_ED

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi There,

Several member of this prestigious board embarked with Captain Earl (CrabShellDude) this past Sunday 6/28. We have almost missed all the diving season -I believe personally only to have dived seven times this year. Still we were/are looking for any window of opportunity. And this past Sunday we had one, not the perfect weather seas 3-4ft chance of rain. As we have adopted the tradition to dive the U853 once a year (at least). The Captain agreed that this might be a good opportunity.

Meeting at Pt. Judith in RI. We started stacking the boat (Zodiac) with all our stuff – complains from a diver with no love for the arts (my video case) were received but ignored. We set sails around 9:30am have to slow down our peace due to the seas getting rougher. Arriving to our destination we encounter the Turtle charter boat.

Once we anchor on the conning tower – thanks to the generosity of the Turtle. We hit it, I setup my camera which took a while. BFG had advised his wish to enter the U-boat – signal was given and we video taped middle of the video. We wonder around the tower for a few then headed to the bow. Dropped to the sand and checked the creatures under the hull. But just when I was descending (close to the dive plan) capture a glimpse of a big head small buddy fish…and then he disappeared – dunno what it was.

Under the hull not to much to see, except huge hakes the size of my arm and for nature they are very curious. So one came and say hello to everyone watching this video. There was some current but nothing significant which allowed us to easily swim the length of wreck (up and down). Vis not the greatest but decent, last year (see other postings) we had an amazing 30ft or more. Yeah you could see more debris on the bottom…how long will the U853 last?

After my dive buddy left the weirdest thing happened. A light and bubbles coming at me, somehow I have overstayed my welcome (wasted my tanks). To the point that other boat (Canned Air) anchored and releases his load. I have not actually checked my computer my guess at this time 35-40 BT and 20-25 deco. My Cobra computer got very upset as my VR2 release me from my deco obligation 9 mins earlier. Oh well talking about the conservatism of the Suunto.

p.s. BTW we stop in other wreck which name and specifics is not worth even mention. I still do not understand why is BFG’s favorite?

http://www.amazing-ocean.com/videos/U853Master.mov

Excellent video! I'm not too sure about the techno music tho:confused:

Nice video Ed!

Something is wrong though. I was away in St. Maarten for the week and I got to go diving in the Caribbean. The vis was 80+ ft and the water was 82 degrees F and yet I am actually bummed I missed out on that U-853 dive with you guys! Is it weird that I think I'd actually rather be diving around here than in the tropics? I know St Maarten isn't exactly as world famous as other Caribbean diving destinations but it is still the Caribbean! It was all so easy it didn't really feel like diving anymore!

Last edited:
Nice video Ed!

Something is wrong though. I was away in St. Martin for the week and I got to go diving in the Caribbean. The vis was 80+ ft and the water was 82 degrees F and yet I am actually bummed I missed out on that U-853 dive with you guys! Is it weird that I think I'd actually rather be diving around here than in the tropics? I know St Martin, isn't exactly world famous as a Caribbean diving destination but it is still the Caribbean! It was all so easy it didn't really feel like diving anymore!

...and that is bad, why?

Drysuit withdrawal?

...and that is bad, why?

Not bad in my book, but I think the crew of the dive boat down there were considering having me committed to a mental institution when I kept trying to convince them how awesome diving in New England is. They couldn't see past temperature and visibility.

Drysuit withdrawal?

That part I didn't really miss. But it definitely did give me a weird sensation like I must have forgotten something because it didn't feel like I was wearing enough gear. :D

So MR. All4scuba05,

When are you going to post this weekend's trip? believe me you do not want me to write the report....or I will mention the chair you took !

Chair? The chair in the wreck was less painful than the one for the ride. I think the waterfall has to be the highlight of the trip(not the pepper salad.) I've never been on a boat while it's at a 70% angle bow up :D WooHoo!!! that was fun.(Jetski style)

:worthless: Just get that video ready.

It was a great dive. I didn't enjoy the Neptune 2 years ago as much as I did this Sunday. No current on the surface. Just a slight current at depth. Ed, what do you think? 15' viz? (as far as temps. Ed will have to chime in with the numbers(I forgot my computers)

I'll leave you to post the rest of the details.

Meeting at Pt. Judith in RI. We started stacking the boat (Zodiac) with all our stuff – complains from a diver with no love for the arts (my video case) were received but ignored.

the video's are great as usual and there is a definite love for the arts, but that Pelican case is HUGE!!

p.s. BTW we stop in other wreck which name and specifics is not worth even mention. I still do not understand why is BFG’s favorite?

I'll take a sheltered crane barge anyday if the alternative is to not dive at all. :D And while NO it's not my favorite, I did get in some good valve drills and practice with a bag so I call it a good dive!! How are YOUR valve drills coming there big guy!? :rofl3:

the video's are great as usual and there is a definite love for the arts, but that Pelican case is HUGE!!

Case? I thought that was a life boat!

Back
Top Bottom