As 911 approaches.. how have you changed ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I can place myself into an approximation of the mindset of someone from a traditional culture.

Can you? How so? Based on your original statements you seem to be very much capitalistically oriented. Statements like
I'm also pissed off at the survivors families for what I see as an agenda that will prevent the downtown area form getting the office space and transportation infrastructure it needs to become prosperous again.
and
I was at the US Open tonight
are not what I might expect from someone who can place themselves into "an approximation of the mindset of someone from a traditional culture". Sounds to me like the whinings of a person of "high society" trying to make themself feel better by acting like they believe in traditional ideas while going home at night to luxury.

I don't agree with the current administration either. I'm a democrat and likely always will be. When the next election comes up, my vote will not be for the current administration. What I do support are U.S. troops, whenever and wherever they are.

Your capitalism is showing. You can't have it both ways.

Tom

As to America playing the role of 'world police' - I have only one comment - a quote of John F Kennedy's:

"Of those to whom much is given, much is required"

As to remembering 9/11 - The Sunday school class I teach is making thank-you cards for the local fire dept. We will be delivering them on 9/11 with a trunk-full of home made brownies - a quiet, simple 'thank you' can mean a lot to those who give so much.

I wish I didn't read some of these posts!!
It's amazing that some people think if we hide our heads in the sand we will be safe!!!!!!!!!! Ive noticed most pacifist liberals live in those neighborhoods where regular joes get pulled over for just driving through!! As far as other countrys getting mad at
our influences. I dont see a lot of freedoms in those countrys!!
They are free to do what some guy has said is his interpretation
of one religion or anouther. You are lucky you live in a place that
lets you make up your own mind. And im not a rep. or a dem. I think the partys hurt the country. They are supposed to represent
the voters in there areas not what a party tells them!!
damn I hate politics how did it get in here :-(
my rant
Rick L

After 9/11/01 happened, it changed peoples view on life, view on the freedom we have in the US, etc., people were friendly towards one another while sporting the american flags on their cars for ONLY about a month or so. Now that a year is creeping up around the corner, everyone has fallen back into their same routine. I just find it quite sad that it takes a trajedy to pull us together, and only a short time to pull us apart again.

I just hope that the families of the victims get by the day as best as they can, and pray that another attack isn't near.

I go to the US Open religiously to support Venus and Serena Williams. I attend as many of their games as possible and I happily cheer them on from the cheap seats. I admire them because they have shown that a couple of girls from the ghetto can make it in what was once a fery white, country club sport. They also expand the idea of what a woman can be: beautiful and feminine but also big and strong and powerful.

Life isn't all black and white. People can't all be reduced to cultural stereotypes. You have only my words to know me by. You don't know who I am, or what I am, or what socio-economic bracket I inhabit, so don't assume that you do.

Would you like to discuss ideas? I would be happy to do that. If you want to hurl invective and nasty names at me, why don't you do it in a private message? I'm not responding in public to any more personal attacks, but I will discuss ideas.

I am worried about the ability of my city government to continue to provide services for it's citizens. (I could go on for pages and pages about the economic repercussions of 9/11 but I will spare you.) I am worried about deteriorating quality of life in a place I truly believe to be the greatest city on earth. I am worried that my job might evaporate as so many other jobs have during the past year. I am worried that I will end my life living on the street. Thses are all legitimate worries which I never had reason to consider before 9/11. I think all of us here in New York have discovered new wells of anxiety in the past year.

I want my city back whole again. I want the twin towers exactly as they were. I want us rise from the fireball of the September 11 like aphoenix bird and show the rest of the world that we can come back to life in the face of adversity. I want the economic base of downtown restored. I want the shop keepers and restauranteurs doing business, making money, effectively supporting their families and their communities, and yes, paying taxes so New York City can continue to pay it's teachers, firefighters and policement. Is that greed? Does that lack all compassion?

Shall we discuss the respirators and rain suits I bought and brought to the rescue workers in the days after the attack? Shall we discuss the hours I put in feeding the people at the mayors command center on 21st Street? Would you like to hear the story of my old boyfriend Steve who walked down the stairs from the South Tower and the hours my childhood best friend spent in Brooklyn with Steve's wife, mourning what they assumed to be his death? Shall we discuss the meeting I attended on September 10th on the 16th floor of the South Tower and the fate of the attorney I met with that day? Shall we discuss the feeling of death breathing down my shoulder, just a few steps behind me? Shall we discuss my best friend crying on my shoulder after he walked 60 blocks from Wall Street that afternoon, as we both fearfully eyed the Empire State Building a few blocks away and wondered where is pregnant wife was and what she was doing and if she was safe?

Life goes on even after a brief walk through the shadows.

My father died in an automobile accident years ago on a Memphis street. To me, the street where he died is "hallowed ground." I'm not asking the city of Memphis to block off the street and build a memorial for him. I honor his memory by going on with my life. He doesn't exist in the place where he died. He lexists in my memory and in my heart. I believe it is selfish of survivor families to want to turn the entire World Trade Center site into a park or to object to the restoration of transportation infrastructure. I have sympahy for their pain. I want to see an appropriate memorial built. I just don't want the infrastructure and the tax base of New York City be held hostage by that memorial. I think we honor the spirits of the dead best by going on with our lives in their absence. I think we serve the memory of 9/11 best by showing our enemies that we can't be cowed by their acts of terror.

It's a free country. Anyone has the right to disagree with me.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Can you? How so? Based on your original statements you seem to be very much capitalistically oriented. Statements like and are not what I might expect from someone who can place themselves into "an approximation of the mindset of someone from a traditional culture". Sounds to me like the whinings of a person of "high society" trying to make themself feel better by acting like they believe in traditional ideas while going home at night to luxury.

Tom

I go to the US Open religiously to support Venus and Serena Williams.

Indeed? That's activism for sure. How many times have you put your butt, rather than your visa card on the line, on protest lines for example? With what organizations?

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Indeed? That's activism for sure. How many times have you put your butt, rather than your visa card on the line, on protest lines for example? With what organizations?

Tom

I think Ravipoo has explained herself very well, calmly and without calling the rest of you names. Now let's give her the same respect. Some of you may not agree with what she has to say...which seems a big result of the topic of this thread...but she has the right to state them.

Tom, if you have a problem with Ravipoo, take it to PMs and leave it off the board. Whether she has or has not "put her butt" or anything else on the line is not the topic here but if it were, she has nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

So let's keep it friendly and respectful...shall we?

Dee
Regulator

I've resisted even reading this tread, and to tell you the truth, I wish I hadn't.

I was there on 911. I worked across the street at American Express' Headquarters. I was in our building making sure everyone got out and was helping the police set up a command post when the first tower fell. I was a block away behind a high school with terrified students when the second tower fell and hit our building. I watched people fall/ jump to their death rather then burn to death in the inferno.

What has changed for me in the last year.... So many things I don't think I could put them into words. Yes, overall people seem to be nicer. Fire fighters and police are getting the respect they deserve. But then again, things remain the same. While 911 effected the world, when you get out of NYC or DC, I have found that it isn't quite the same. 911, and the after effects are in the news, but in DC and NYC you can't get away from it. It can be overwhelming.

As far as the debate going on in this thread, my $.02 is just that, my $02. I think the USA is an easy target for the people to bash... and now to attack. We have a freedom found nowhere else in the world. We have diversity like nowhere else in the world. If someone is looking for something to hate, they can find it here in America. But for all of those reasons America is also a place to love.

I've written a couple of things here and erased them, so I'm just going to leave it as is. I have my opinion on what we should do in Iraq (how does lake Baghdad sound as a future dive site) but again, I have mine, you have yours. That’s one of those things that make America great.

Ty

I thought long and hard about this post.

Gentlepeople, what Raviepoo has stated is a very, very, common perception of the US throughout most of the world. I have heard it in the Far East, Middle East, Central America, the rest of North America (Canada and Mexico) and Europe.

I have seen it in media reports and in personal conversations. And yes... I've seen Americans in Europe complaining of all of the "foreigners" not speaking English.... in Paris.

Please understand that I am not supporting nor trashing this nor any other point of view. Personally, I believe that I have seen US Governments, Military arms, NGOs and Individuals act gallantly and unselfishly at many different levels. Unfortunately, I have also seen actions that were at best ignorant of other cultures and histories - and at worst egotistical and superior. In any event, the bad usually is remembered long after the good. That at least is a trait shared by all people.

Just a view from the north.... Take it as you will.

Back
Top Bottom