Aruba Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rond

Reaction score
Anyone knows any resorts in Aruba were its possible to also do decent shore dives?

Thanks
Ron

Even though the islands are relatively close the UW topography is different, so whatever's there I just wouldn't expect it to be the same.

theres like 7 of 27 sites that are accessable from shore. Keep in mind it's a Y2K issue. Deep Palm Slope, Mangel Halto Reef, Porto Chiquito (Snapper City), Baby Beach Reef, Santana Di CAcho Reef, Cabez Reef (advanced), and Natural Bridge (rough/ advanced divers). Hope that helps.

tony

I've dove about a half dozen shore sites on Aruba and as mentioned earlier, these for the most part are different from Bonaire as they are shallower with not as much reef life, but a lot of fun none-the-less. There are some shallow sites like Malmok (near the wreck of the Antilla) and Boca Catalina near Palm Beach. These are mostly patch reef in shallow water. The best shore sites are of on the south side of the island and require a rental car.

Pos Chiquito, (also known as Puerto Chiquito or Rocky Beach) which is a little over half way from Oranjestad to San Nicholaas is hands down the best spot that we shore dove on Aruba and equalled any of reef dives we did by boat. It is where all the local dive shops take their open water students. When we were there this December, the vis was 60' to 70' and a toasty 83f with mild currents which changed directions day to day. The reef is large and fairly healthy, starting in about 10' to 15' of water and slopes down to over 100'. It was the closest site I found to an average dive on Bonaire and requires only a 50 to 100 yard swim from shore. Its definitely worth a few tanks exploring (I could have spent a week on it), and you can ask any dive shop for directions.

Mangel Halto is a nice shore dive just north of Pos Chiquito, but it requires either a long surface swim (about 200m) or as I did it, a long walk in waist deep water before putting on the fins. Its worth a tank. Baby Beach is at the southern tip of the island, past San Nicholaas and the refinery. You also have a long surface swim or walk in chest deep water and there are typically strong currents outside of the reef wall. Its worth a tank.

De Palm Island is another very good shore dive, but they have made this a very expensive option as it is now around $55 per day cover charge to get on the Island and I don't know if they charge more for tanks once you get there or let you bring in outside tanks now that this is a resort. We last went in 2000, before they started charging the big bucks.

much thanks for all the pointers!
Any idea if any resort there has access to a shore that is even slightly worth diving? i will be coming with a friend who didnt dive in a while and i am looking for an easy way to get her back on track...
thanks again

Hey Fellow Diver...I currently travel to Aruba every year and I can tell you that shore diving is awesome in Aruba! A few cool spots to do your shore dives would be anywhere on the south side of the island - but there are no resorts there, so you will have to drive or take a taxi to get there. Baby Beach or De Palm Slope are my favorite South side shore dive locations. However Aruba hosts so many sites that are assesible from the high rise hotel areas. Malmok and Arashi are excellent sites and close to shore for a beach entry down past the Mariott Resort. If you stay in town, there is a resort with a private island, which is close to two sites, Sonesta Airplanes & Sonesta Reef, which can be done as a shore or drift dive. I do recommend, if you are looking for a reputable dive shop in Aruba....I have been diving there every year for the past 5 years, and I highly recommend Unique Watersports and Pelican Diving. Good luck and let me know how you make out on your trip!

hey call searuba.com they took me on a shoredive about4 miles from town, past the airport. it was a nice reef, lots to see, very easy enrty (we jumped off a dock) you can park right there. I called it engine block reek, due to the 6 cylinder I say on the bottom...

hope that helps.

p.s. searuba.com is a great op. very nice and exp. guys.... enjoy aruba. best trip for me of 2005..(the food is great, wrecks are nice, night dive the antilla for sure)

p.s.s. stay away from red sail, .... cattle boat..

much thanks for all these pointers!
any recommendations for a nice resport that is not too crowded and that has a dive shop on location?
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom