Artificial Upwelling to Stem Effects of Climate Change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've put the question on Coral List, the largest collection of coral researchers/experts on-line. I'll let you know what they say. I suspect that just telling you what I learned maybe 20 years ago will not satisfy you.
@Joneill
See Chapter One, especially pages 20-24, of https://wwfeu.awsassets.panda.org/downloads/climate_change___coral_triangle___full_report.pdf.

My claim of the Coral Triangle being the "origin of corals" is better stated as the "center of biodiversity," according to this reference. And it would argue there is no good answer as to where they came from in the first place. It is all wrapped up in plate tectonics and untestable hypotheses.

@Joneill
See Chapter One, especially pages 20-24, of https://wwfeu.awsassets.panda.org/downloads/climate_change___coral_triangle___full_report.pdf.

My claim of the Coral Triangle being the "origin of corals" is better stated as the "center of biodiversity," according to this reference. And it would argue there is no good answer as to where they came from in the first place. It is all wrapped up in plate tectonics and untestable hypotheses.
Thanks for looping back on this. That is pretty much consistent with what I’ve been able to conclude via what’s on line - no verifiable proof of where it all started but lots of good info on why life has thrived there versus other places around the globe.

I got a taste of higher biodiversity (vs the Caribbean) in French Polynesia last year and hope to see much more starting with Fiji this summer (fingers crossed on that one), and Raja Ampat, Palau and Truk Lagoon in 2022!

It’s all good - Happy Holidays!

Thanks for looping back on this. That is pretty much consistent with what I’ve been able to conclude via what’s on line - no verifiable proof of where it all started but lots of good info on why life has thrived there versus other places around the globe.

I got a taste of higher biodiversity (vs the Caribbean) in French Polynesia last year and hope to see much more starting with Fiji this summer (fingers crossed on that one), and Raja Ampat, Palau and Truk Lagoon in 2022!

It’s all good - Happy Holidays!
@Joneill
Additional info just received from Coral-List:
Historically, there have been a succession of reefs created initially by algae and then various invertebrate forms. The current coral reefs and modern corals only took over since the KT-termination. Other corals and algae alternated with molluscs reefs through the Mesozoic. Rudist (clams) dominated the western Tethys sea way while presumably modern corals were found in the eastern fringes of what would become the Indian Ocean. The rudist disappeared in the KT and modern corals replaced them slowly in the ever-narrowing Tethys. One conclusion is then that the coral-triangle is the initial source. The closing of the vanished equatorial seaway constricted the spread to the corals to the west. A good history of the Tethys is Stow, D. 2010 Vanished Ocean Oxford.​
See also: Overview of distribution patterns of zooxanthellate Scleractinia

@Joneill

Thank you for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom