Artificial Upwelling to Stem Effects of Climate Change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that. Not buying it. Sorry. That is what people want to point to to discredit the significant impact humans are having on the climate. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

I could certainly be misinformed. Let's assume I am.
I'm guessing you are thinking of a huge insulated aquaduct?

when there are no waves to drive it which happens when hurricanes pull the wind out of Bonaire
I seriously suggest you get your physics/meteorology right before talking too much about this.

We have what I regard is a stretch of reef in Bonaire that rivals anything we see in Indonesia due to the density and vibrance of life as you can see in the video.
Great if this can help the health of the reefs and marine ecosystem.

That said, your video pales in comparison to anything I’ve seen from Indonesia - both in terms of diversity and quantity of corals and marine life. I’ve been to Bonaire and really enjoyed the diving (was supposed to return in November but was cancelled due to COVID).

I have not yet been to Indonesia (Feb 2022 liveaboard trip is booked) but was just in French Polynesia last year and it was leagues better than Bonaire and FP is not supposed to be anywhere near as good as Indonesia! So I don’t see that anywhere in Bonaire is even remotely on par with Indonesia - certainly not from the clip that you posted. But kudos to you for trying to keep it healthy as it’s still great diving there.

Great if this can help the health of the reefs and marine ecosystem.

That said, your video pales in comparison to anything I’ve seen from Indonesia - both in terms of diversity and quantity of corals and marine life. I’ve been to Bonaire and really enjoyed the diving (was supposed to return in November but was cancelled due to COVID).

I have not yet been to Indonesia (Feb 2022 liveaboard trip is booked) but was just in French Polynesia last year and it was leagues better than Bonaire and FP is not supposed to be anywhere near as good as Indonesia! So I don’t see that anywhere in Bonaire is even remotely on par with Indonesia - certainly not from the clip that you posted. But kudos to you for trying to keep it healthy as it’s still great diving there.
To be fair:
The diversity of coral cover in the Caribbean is considerable less than in Indonesia, or Fiji, like a factor of ten or more in terms of species. It has nothing basically to do with health of the reef or bleaching, but rather with geography and distance from the "motherlode" in the coral triangle. Think of it like a farmer standing in a field spreading sees by throwing them as far as possible, in all directions. The result will be less growing farther away...lot near the farmer.
On top of that are the degrading influences of man, both hands-on and indirectly through climate change. If you have lots to start with, then some degradation is less noticeable than if you have a lot less to start with.

To the OP, it's an interesting idea, but I do worry about the unintended consequences. For example, upwellings are often nutrient rich. Coral reefs are nutrient poor ecosystems, so I wonder if there might be a consequence of dumping nutrient rich water onto a reef?

Here it apparently is, with herds of theorists hubris abounds, rushing around on their roads
from shelter to shelter barely specks on the surface in control of nothing wanting it so badly

full.jpg

Like a marriage really or world relations

The Inner Core

To the OP, it's an interesting idea, but I do worry about the unintended consequences. For example, upwellings are often nutrient rich. Coral reefs are nutrient poor ecosystems, so I wonder if there might be a consequence of dumping nutrient rich water onto a reef?
Algae. Lots of algae.

Or you could by this jumbo sized bottle of snake oil, I'll sell you for a nominal shipping and handling fee.

I'll buy your jumbo sized bottle of snake oil if it comes labelled "Ardbeg", "Balvenie", or "Talisker".
:wink:

-Z

To be fair:
The diversity of coral cover in the Caribbean is considerable less than in Indonesia, or Fiji, like a factor of ten or more in terms of species. It has nothing basically to do with health of the reef or bleaching, but rather with geography and distance from the "motherlode" in the coral triangle. Think of it like a farmer standing in a field spreading sees by throwing them as far as possible, in all directions. The result will be less growing farther away...lot near the farmer.
On top of that are the degrading influences of man, both hands-on and indirectly through climate change. If you have lots to start with, then some degradation is less noticeable than if you have a lot less to start with.
Thanks for basically comfirming what I was saying which is that Bonaire does not rival Indonesia with respect to "density and vibrance of life". BTW - not bashing Bonaire as I like it and it's great by Carribean standards.

Also, are you suggesting that the reason that there is such thrivng biodiversity in Indonesia and less in the Carribean is becasue it all originated in Indonesia? I have not seen that as a popular hypothesis - but there are many others, for example:
What Is the Coral Triangle? | Live Science

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom