Artificial Reef Survey - Miami & WPB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al.B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My myself and a colleague are Marine Biology Masters Students at from the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton, UK. We are planning to undertake our masters projects on artificial reefs of which there is a large number along the stretch of coast from Miami to West Palm beach beginning on the 16th June - 22nd July

We are specifically interested in surveying the quarried limestone reefs, to reduce variables on substrate settlement, of which we have narrowed down to 23 sites, with deploy dates ranging from 1988 - 2013. From this we intend to create two publishable papers, one as a time series of reef development/recruitment (ie how it changes overtime) and another focus on some of the functional differences (such as trophic interactions) between artificial reefs of different age and natural reefs. We will also need to survey a few natural reefs as a baseline control.

We were wondering if anyone has any experience diving any of the 'quarried limestone' sites along this stretch of coast and could give us any advice on the general conditions. In addition we are still looking for "cheap" method, as we have limited funding, of getting out to the sites which are further away, so we would appreciate if anyone had any recommendations of dive companies/boat charters/clubs/indivduals etc who would be willing to take us. We are both experienced divers, myself am an Open water instructor and my colleague is a divemaster and also licensed to drive powerboats.

If anyone is interested in getting involved with us you are more than welcome, just drop me an email: abygrave92@hotmail.com, we can easily teach you our survey methods. the data will being added to the Reef Life Survey (RLS) database once we have completed.

Thanks,

Alistair

Yes certainly. Basically they are the artificial reefs that have been created by dumbing limestone blocks off a barge (i.e Not wrecks or concrete structures) hence the substrate on which the coral settle is limestone.

Yes certainly. Basically they are the artificial reefs that have been created by dumbing limestone blocks off a barge (i.e Not wrecks or concrete structures) hence the substrate on which the coral settle is limestone.

Here are links to 3 dive sites. These are ALL beach dives. All you need is gear, flag and quarters for the parking.
South Inlet Park | Boca Raton
Turtle Reef | Boca Raton / Deerfield Beach
Perry Street Rock Pile | Hollywood

We have video of all 3 spots. Please view the videos to confirm that the reefs are in fact limestone and not some other stone.

Here are links to 3 dive sites. These are ALL beach dives. All you need is gear, flag and quarters for the parking.
South Inlet Park | Boca Raton
Turtle Reef | Boca Raton / Deerfield Beach
Perry Street Rock Pile | Hollywood

We have video of all 3 spots. Please view the videos to confirm that the reefs are in fact limestone and not some other stone.

SinkFlorida: that's a pretty cool website.

AI.B I think there is a rock pile in WPB that sits between the Mizpah wreck and the Amaryllis wreck: scroll to see the Mizpah description which mentions the rock pile Florida Wreck Diving :: Pura Vida Divers

You can only reach this by boat and you'll need to call an operator early on to see if you can get the dive scheduled. The dive is somewhat tide dependent since it is north of the inlet and an outgoing tide washes dirty freshwater run-off northward. Possible charters: Pura Vida, Jim Abernathy, Scub Club, Sandy's Sunday, Walkers

We do have a google maps file with all the 23 sites along with all the co-ordinates I attached some screen shots (yellow dots with deploy date are sites), but if anyone is interested I the file I can send it. A few seem within 600 yards which we intend to shore dive, so that was my main question really on if that would be possible. The website SinkFlorida provided is really useful, so thank you, gives all the info I was looking for about beach diving. We will be videoing and photographing these sites as well if you would like some new dive sites on the website?

thank you for the possible charters sportxlh ill get in touch with them to find out their schedule, the majority of the sites are out of swimming distance so we will need to charter, however I would assume the reefs we are interested are not "main" dive sites, although many of them are near/next to some recommended dive sites.

miami sites.jpgDelray beach sites.jpgWPB sites.jpg

600 yards is a long swim!!! (548m). Lots of boat traffic and possibly currents to deal with, those ones a ways out, would be best to do by boat.

I didn't see in the screen shots any reefs (perry street rockpile that SinkFloridaSink linked to) in the Hollywood area. I am very familiar with Hollywood, and may be able to help.

yes it is I agree we have limited to 200m swimming and anything within 500m potentially kayak or paddle board based on advice. Most of the West Plam beach sites are <150m out so hopefully beach dive-able. We are just trying to keep diving cost to a minimum as we only have limiting funding and chartering a dive boat for each site may add up.

Yes it doesn't appear there are any the closest is Golden Beach, there may be some in our list but we have discarded sites under 18m depth due to dive time constraints for sureys. However we may survey a natural reef in Hollywood as a base control if you have any good suggestions

One other thought on charters...... I've never been out with these guys, but it is a small boat and probably easier to charter to a specific site than some others. A friend of mine who has since moved away met the captain at a dive show and said he (the captain) was a really nice guy.

Hypnautical Dive Charters

You can also contact a dive shop like Force-E (that doesn't operate a boat but arranges charters with local dive boats) and indicate what you are trying to do and see if they have any recommendations. Force-E has locations in West Palm Beach, Boca and Pompano: which are all pretty close to your sites on your maps.

Force-E | Scuba Diving in Florida Since 1976

SinkFlorida: that's a pretty cool website.

AI.B I think there is a rock pile in WPB that sits between the Mizpah wreck and the Amaryllis wreck: scroll to see the Mizpah description which mentions the rock pile Florida Wreck Diving :: Pura Vida Divers

You can only reach this by boat and you'll need to call an operator early on to see if you can get the dive scheduled. The dive is somewhat tide dependent since it is north of the inlet and an outgoing tide washes dirty freshwater run-off northward. Possible charters: Pura Vida, Jim Abernathy, Scub Club, Sandy's Sunday, Walkers

Thank you, sportxlh!

We got word on Sunday that Turtle Reef is fully covered with sand :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom