Artificial Reef Program for Texas!!! Aircraft Carrier - They need our support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the upper TX coast there really would only be a _few_ places that this critter could be dropped where the depth is over 200 feet that's within 100 miles of the coast (reachable by boat capts with a standard 6 pax license) but I really couldn't find much of anything that is within day trip range, typically we do 60-75 miles out as day spearfishing trips out of Sabine, and that's leaving at 5am and returning at 6-7pm, so... It would be nice to have it along the TX coast somewhere down south though.

I live just a couple of miles (literally) from the MARAD shipyard, and have driven past it when boating several times (best water skiing spot in the area is just around the bend north of it) and there are a ton of decommisioned ships out there in addition to the aircraft carrier (just don't drive near them, the gunboat patrolling the area will give chase. :wink:) I think that even if the carrier goes elsewhere, divers/environmental groups should start putting pressure on the govt to start releasing more of these ships for use in artificial reef programs, it'll certainly clean up their graveyards.

Here's how I understood it... the wreck would be about 20 min. of the coast of Corpus Christy, with the tower at aroung 50 fsw, the deck at 100 fsw, and sitting in 150 fsw, roughly :rolleyes: . Corpus should have better water clarity and the above mentioned traits making it a nice choice. Write and tell them what you think. They want to know.

The "O" boat belongs off Pensacola, the birthplace of Naval Aviation. 99.9% (if not all) who have trapped aboard her as pilots trained at Pensacola. The site is closer and conditions better for both fishing and diving than either the Texas or the south Florida sites. As the keel to top of the island structure is over 200', minimum depth is 257' (not 150) - only 17 miles off the coast at the nipple, between Pensacola and Destin.
Rick

I have been searching, to little avail, for a decent map showing water depths off the Texas coast.

I did find something that shows a 300ft line much closer to the South Texas coast than the rest of the coast.

Daytrip: I would like to see something like this within day trip distance. Make it liveaboard distance, the cost increases, the frequency of trips decreases, the number of operators available to go decreases, the weather hazards increase, etc...

If you make it a day trip you have an improved ecomonic boon to the state.

We are divers. Why not think of this place as a dive site? I like to fish too, but if someone is going to sink something just so it can act as an artificial reef, and I'm not going to get any benefit from it as a diver, the chances of me supporting it decrease.

Depth: We are making a considerable assumption that it will be sunk upright. If it lays over on its side it can be shallower.

Over all, I would rather see it in Pensacola.

TwoBit

This is second hand opinion. Simply what I was told by a charter dive boat captain.

The liberty ships are in very poor condition. They are mostly buried. There is very little life on them. They are covered in fishing line and hooks. The visibility frequently stinks as they are close to shore.

There are some differing opinions on this bard about them. Search this section and you may find a little more info.

TwoBit

..where it goes. The diving off the Texas coast is too iffy for me to seriously consider going down to dive it. I know some of the northern Swampers have made the trek down to the Gulf, but I'm not really interested in driving down all that way (I'm in Denton), or spending the money to fly down only to have my trip cancelled at the last minute because of iffy weather conditions... there's too many places I have not yet dived for me to spend all the money and energy it takes to get down there for it all to go to waste due to mother nature's fickleness.

One day I hope too get down there. But for now, if I'm gonna spend the money and energy to go blue weater diving, I'm going somewhere where the conditions are more predictable.

So where this ship goes, won't really affect me much either way. For the Southern Swampers I think it would be great..but for me.. it would be irrelevant.

I guess I'm all for it as long as it won't cost me any more as a diver or a taxpayer. If it would end up costing me more...I say let Florida have it.

Where??

I've communicated via email with Paul Hammerschmidt. I have also seen some of his return email to other intereested Texas parties. Essentially, what I'm seeing at this point is that he is suggesting that email, letters, etc. be sent directly to MARAD. I think the main reason is that the due date for applications is November 20th.

Personally, my first choice would be South Texas, second choice would be Pensacola-Destin area. Not too much difference in drive time, etc.

It would also seem that our diving options would be one of three, regardless of whether you fish or dive. (Helicopters excluded)

1. Private boat
2. Day boat charter
3. Livaboard operation

Looks like all but the hardiest kayak divers are out on this one.

Paul Hammerschmidt told our dive club president that Corpus Christi would be the first choice for location. Since they want it for the purpose of promoting diving as much as for an artificial reef, a place close enough for day trips is the goal.

Again...here is the address. Everyone please write!

I sincerely appreciate your offer of support, and welcome your input. The address and person to send the letter of support to in MARAD is:

Department of Transportation
Maritime Administration
Ship Disposal Office (MAR 610.3) Room 2122
Attn: Beth Freese
400 Seventh Street S.W.
Washington, DC 20590

chrispete once bubbled...
I live just a couple of miles (literally) from the MARAD shipyard, and have driven past it when boating several times (best water skiing spot in the area is just around the bend north of it) and there are a ton of decommisioned ships out there in addition to the aircraft carrier (just don't drive near them, the gunboat patrolling the area will give chase. :wink:) I think that even if the carrier goes elsewhere, divers/environmental groups should start putting pressure on the govt to start releasing more of these ships for use in artificial reef programs, it'll certainly clean up their graveyards.

Chris,

I took a ride down the river on Sunday to the Naval Reserve Fleet and took a few pics. She's looking pretty sad... I even got a few pics of the gunboat (note it in the front on the attachment) and some of the other ships in mothballs there. There are enough for everyone to get a new reef project!

Back
Top Bottom