Artificial reef in San Clemente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saw this today:

Artificial Reef Off the SC Coastline?

February 06, 2008

Vol. 3, Issue 6, February 7-13, 2008

THE LATEST: The California Coastal Commission approved a permit on Wednesday for Southern California Edison to build a 126.7-acre artificial reef from San Mateo Point to just north of the San Clemente Pier. The reef will stretch 2.5 miles in length approximately .6 miles offshore.

The reef has been in the works since the 1960s when a study revealed that water pumped from the Pacific Ocean into the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station to cool Units 2 and 3 was returned to the ocean 20 degrees warmer, which was declared harmful to the ocean’s kelp beds. To compensate, Southern California Edison agreed to build an artificial reef to mitigate any damage done to the ocean environment.

“What we’re about to do it attempt to create a complex eco system on a rather large scale,” said SCE Manager of Environmental Projects David Kay at Wednesday’s meeting. While optimistic about the project, he did warn the commissioners that it may not go perfectly. “We have time to adapt our reef to the curveballs that Mother Nature occasionally throws,” he said.

In the past four decades, Southern California Edison has cooperated in years of study and testing. In 1999 they build their first test reefs: 22.5 acres in 56 different patches, crafted from ruble and rock in various densities and heights. In the years since, project leaders have learned that these reefs must be located in waters not too deep or shallow and not on ground that’s too sandy or too hard. They also learned that smaller formations of rock that move with major storms is most effective for the kelp, a weed-like plant that claims ground quickly but can be blocked out by coral. This coral, in turn, is usually jarred from the rocks when they move during a storm, allowing the kelp to again thrive.

WHAT’S NEXT: Southern California Edison plans to start this summer and finish before the lobster season.

Source: San Clemente Times 2/6/2008

Now if we can just get some one to seed it with abalone!!

That is nice news. I only wish they would put a platform for diving out to it, then we would be on to something!

I wonder if this will be a protected area for fishing? I would guess not since the did mention it would be completed prior to lobster season...

Up here in SLO, Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant put in some artificial reefs. The power plant is in the the best local diving area with great strructure and vis. Unfortunately there is a one mile "safety zone" around it that is actually enforced to about a mile and a half. I was surprised to see San Onofre had boats out in front of it when I drove to SD. It's a lame double standard. Maybe there are some three eyed fish up here they don't want us to see.
Glad to hear the good news though.
Kale

Link to the SCE site REEF

GPS Location of reef program

33° 24’10 - 117° 37’22.50

Nice, is this accessible from shore, or do you need a boat (sorry, I've not been there). If it's a boat dive, does anyone know any charters that head out there?

That is nice news. I only wish they would put a platform for diving out to it, then we would be on to something!

Dude - we'll scoot to it.

Duh...

:wink:

---
Ken

It says phase 1 construction was in 1999. Has anybody dove this spot? Why aren't any boats diving this place? Looks like a pretty cool spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom