Article: Sola 1200: Durability, Flexibility and Usefulness combined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I use the Sola 1200s for video and love the nice even light field they produce. I use mine mostly on low power so there is plenty of burn time for two long or three short dives. The only drawback I've experienced was with the corrosion in the charging ports. I have to clean them frequently with vinegar and/or fine steel wool to ensure they charge fully. My initial Sola 1200s had the old batteries and chargers, but were replaced last year with the new (current) ones which are much better.

Hi Netdoc,

If you want a lightweight, hands free super bright light I suggest that you try, if you can, the Watershot 1800 lumen dive light. It has a very compact 8 cell L-ION battery in a case that fits on your BC strap via velcro straps, and a coiled cord that goes to the light unit, which goes on your hand with a soft mount just like the one for the sola, except the light unit is smaller than the sola. Totally hands free and you barely know you have it on.

The battery pack will give you about 3 hours on high (1800 lumen which I use for bright daytime diving, bright enough to signal your buddy) and 8 hours on low (about 900 lumen, which is the setting I use for night dives). The beam has a bright hot spot of 10 degrees and great fill area of about 60 degrees; it combines the best of the sola spot and flood features, but at the same time and substantially brighter. Although it has the separate battery and light connected by a cord, I won't call it a "can light" because it is only a tiny fraction of their size, weight and bulk. Best of all the light control is on the head, a simple push button for on/off and to cycle through the brightness levels. Quality is very high and they relly stand behind their products. Going on two years and no problems whatsoever.

I have no affiliation with them except to give them my hard earned $$$, but it was worth every penny.

Also love solas, just bought 2 of the 4000s for video and they are amazing with huge batteries and long battery life. But, for a primary dive light, which I use on every dive day or night, the non-interchangeable batteries just do not work for me.

Netdoc,

Sounds like you're using the Sola for still photography instead of a strobe. Is that correct? I'm thinking about getting one to replace one of my Ikelite DS-125s as a fill light, instead of using a slave strobe. And for shooting video with my new Galaxy S3 housing...AND to use as my primary light.

I recently acquired a Sola 2000S/F, which is an upgraded version of the Sola 1200 and was just released this year. It has both spot and flood mode, just like the 1200, but at full power in flood mode it puts out 2000 lumens instead of the 1200 in the light reviewed. I love this light! I got both a ball mount so I can put it on my strobe arm and also the hand grip so I can carry it as a stand-alone dive light. It is truly a great piece of dive equipment.

I have a Sola 2000 and I'm afraid I am disappointed with it's power and charge life! :shakehead:
My powerful Metal sub primary died so I went back to using my 800 lumen flood canister light.
This appears brighter than the highest power flood setting (supposedly 2000 lumen) on my Sola.
The highest power spot on my Sola (700 lumens) is weak!
I use the torch in temperate water diving 12-22C and it runs out of charge way too quick (sometimes on a 60min night dive!).
I now use the Sola 2000 as the back up and my old 700 lumen flood as the primary!

I need to get my Metal Sub 5000 Lumen dive light fixed (I used it mainly on half power ie 2500 Lumen) and it was awesome!

Just my experience!

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom