Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Magnus Lundstedt
posted:

Sam Miller III said:
John - I now question how many have knowledge of the DOXA watch or have read any of Cusslers 40 or so dive related books that always feature an Orange faced DOXA worn by Dirk Pitt

SDM
I just started to read "The Medeterraniean caper" after i read your comments about Dirk Pitt. In this one he wears a Omega watch, at least in chapter one ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was Clive's second book after his first attempt Mediterranean Caper.

It was written while Clive was a clerk at the Aquatic Center (AC) in Santa Ana California and he was attending Orange Coast College (OCC) at night in Costa Mesa, California.

His over night success and the book that thrust him into national and international prominence was his third book Raise the Titanic .

At that time his literary success and future as an author was assured so he quit his day job at the AC, dropped out of college at OCC to devote his life to writing.

As a going away gift the three owners of the AC presented him with a very prestigious and desirable Orange Faced Doxa watch -- Like most of the serious divers of Orange County were wearing at that time.

When you read Raise the Titanic note the Doxa mentioned along with three ancillary personages, especially Sam Merker (aka Sam Miller and Ron Merker), who was short, fat, black, communist, traitor who was shot and killed ....(FYI Clive carries Ron's LA Co certification card and My NAUI certification card-- So we has something to do with Clive becoming a diver)

When you read Sahara note that Doc Miller was shot between the eyes with a 45 caliber pistol

I sincerely hope this clarifies your confusion over the watches worn by Dirk Pitt

Sam Miller, III
LA Co UW instructor
NAUI Instructor
PADI instructor
etc, etc ..

Last edited:
I wear dive watches all the time because I like them. Besides how will you know when happy hour starts at the Tiki Bar.

DSC03151

New here, so sorry if this is repetitive as I haven't read the whole thread:

Part of the reason I went to get dive certified was because of how much I enjoy dive watches. I felt like I needed to put them to their proper use. I don't have a Rolex or Doxa (one day a SUB 750 gmt or SUB 300T Sharkhunter will be mine!) or anything- I realize that their practical use is relegated to being a backup. But I do enjoy the thought that I'm somehow connect to the heyday of diving when an automatic, waterproof watch was an essential piece of kit. I took my Seiko SRP779 and my Halios Seaforth on my honemoon, and my wife and I wore both of them diving for that reason. They may not be necessary, but they still are fun!

Cheers,
BeerNye

I have a bit of a wrist watch problem. All of my watches are divers and I have been wearing a diver since the mid '80s. The dive style watch is the most popular style watch sold in the world. The dive watch is alive and well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom