Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They violated the old adage of "plan your dive and dive your plan" and paid the price. I hope they both fully recovered.
Nope.

They planned the dive and dived the plan--to the best of their abilities as fallible human beings. As fallible human beings, they made mistakes. If they were not fallible human beings, they would have been something else--something like computers.

I have no idea if current dive computers will still be working in 30 years, but I don't see why most of them wouldn't.

The older computers were mostly junked because the battery replacement was a PITA, not even the manufacturers wanted to do it. The ones that have user replaceable batteries are still operational providing the sensors are still accurate. People need to check the sensors by having the computer pressure tested or at least taking a depth gauge with them and checking if the computer is accurate.

The older computers were mostly junked because the battery replacement was a PITA, not even the manufacturers wanted to do it. The ones that have user replaceable batteries are still operational providing the sensors are still accurate. People need to check the sensors by having the computer pressure tested or at least taking a depth gauge with them and checking if the computer is accurate.

What ?Huh? Use an analog depth gage to check a PDC for accuracy?!? I suppose next you'll advise to use a watch to check the time on the PDC! :)

I have trouble thinking of any piece of electronics that has a functional life anywhere near 30 years -- especially if it has a battery. That is one of the reasons I am reluctant to replace my 1985 diesel 190D. About the only electronics is a digital temperature display and the radio; both of which have failed.

I have an old BMW 740iA, it's 30+ years, it is packed with electronics, And guess what, it is not the electronics that is limiting its lifespan, when things start acting up, it's always something mekanical thats the problem. The electronics just work.

What ?Huh? Use an analog depth gage to check a PDC for accuracy?!? I suppose next you'll advise to use a watch to check the time on the PDC! :)

What I recommended is to have the sensors on your computer checked periodically. My first recommendation was take it to your friendly neighborhood dive store to be put in a pressure pot. My fall back recommendation is to bring along a depth gauge to double check. If the readings are close no problem, if not then either one or the other is wrong. So you know you need to get it checked. If you feel this is unreasonable then that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

If you want to blindly trust your life to an electronic device, then be my guest. It is your life to lose. My opinion is that yours is the more reckless advice.

I have an old BMW 740iA, it's 30+ years, it is packed with electronics, And guess what, it is not the electronics that is limiting its lifespan, when things start acting up, it's always something mekanical thats the problem. The electronics just work.

A college buddy of mine bought a new BMW when he graduated college. The computer went after 3 years rendering the car undriveable. Luckily, the car was still under warranty so he did not need to pay the $1,800 (in 1990 dollars) cost to fix it. As we say in the U.S., your mileage may vary.

In the past year, I replaced the coolant temperature sensor in my Ford and my father needed to replace the oil pressure sensor in his Jeep. Sensors do go bad.

What does sickle cell have to do with dive watches?

LOL I thought the same thing. The start date of this thread is old so I guess the links changed.

Back
Top Bottom