Article: How Not to Annoy Your Boatmates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not been on a boat that allowed mask rinse in the camera rinse tub.
rinse your mask with a bottle of water or in the shower while you're taking a shower. Please don't spend 30 minutes in. The shower while the rest of the boat waits, too. Learn how to take "RV" camping showers.

Not sure I agree with the t-shirt rule!
Pretty much *all* of my t-shirts are diving related, although I only take the minimum required, usually 3 for any liveaboard - 1 for wearing during the day between dives which gets salty, 1 for at night after a shower and a 3rd for backup/leaving the boat.
I'm not showing off, I just love wearing my dive t-shirts!:D

I think they ar ereferring to those who take three t-shirts onto a day boat for a two-tanker. I usually take five on a liveaboard. All of which are diving related.

Just one thing.. Since when is the rinse thank for cameras and not masks? Every boat ive been on its been for both (although lots of people, me included, preferr NOT to put the camera in the tank)

Since when does anybody put anything in the rinse bucket with my dome port?! he he <<joke>>

BTW I brought my own rinse bucket, is that fine? :dork2:

I follow the "no exotic dive shirt rule"--I simply don't have any!:D And since everyone on the boat are also divers, I think they are redundant. You should wear shirts that tell your boatmates something about yourself that they don't already know, such as other favorite sports, bands and personal interests. I always get on the boat bringing the best of my extensive tie-dye collection....just don't wear them on any flights--you tend to get pulled from the line for the more "personal" security screening!

Not sure I agree with the t-shirt rule!
Pretty much *all* of my t-shirts are diving related, although I only take the minimum required, usually 3 for any liveaboard - 1 for wearing during the day between dives which gets salty, 1 for at night after a shower and a 3rd for backup/leaving the boat.
I'm not showing off, I just love wearing my dive t-shirts!:D

Can't argue with anything said here.

Two people puked on me as I came up to the stern today.

PLease barf off to the SIDE ( duh )

Also if you are *helping* divers do you really have to grab the valve and pull them off their center of gravity when they are doing just fine?

If a diver has a long hose don't start grabbing their necklace and their mask, just leave them to their normal order

Wear whatever you like but I am digging those Daniel Craig old school spanky dive trunks :D

saw several pairs today on some very fit Germans

They kinda make American soggy board shorts look annoying :coffee:

I think it pretty pretentious to tell others how they should behave or dress as to not offend anyone else. I can see this on live-aboard for sure, just not on the local dive boats. Why should anyone be worried about first impressions on a dive boat? They are paying customers. This is nothing more then click mentality. You want to be accepted by us, act like us- BS. As far the the rest of the article goes, only in a perfect world. Best way to avoid those problems, stay off the cattle boats :)

Why would you care what kind of T-shirt someone wears on the boat? If they have been somewhere you have not--so what! I actually find those T-shirts somewhat helpful, especially if they are from an area that I have not visited. They are a decent opener for conversation to find out their perspectives of that dive location.

Last edited:
I've heard the defog eats the o-rings. Considering the price of the gear, it's nice to have two buckets onboard and it's not a theory I'm willing to test. Why tempt fate? Just don't be the DM who throws a hissy fit and tells me I'm an idiot who doesn't know a thing about cameras (and diving - not sure how that one was thrown in) when I asked that my camera stay far away from the rinse bucket.

Beyond that, for photographers, be respectful of everyone's gear that's sharing the bucket. I've heard more than one story about cameras flooding because they were jostled around.

Back
Top Bottom