Article: How a Small Group of Instructors Spurred Reform in Scuba Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious how this is being received by the masses. I have some DM friends who have told me their local instructors are grouching about the new standards and concerns about how long it'll take to train students and affect income / profit.

FWIW I am all for this change and I say about time. But I'm not a pro trying to make a living.

As many folks have tried to explain in many threads, they are not "new standards". Your DM friends' "instructors" need to comprehend what they are reading.

Article should state "Spurred reform in PADI". IIRC, the emphasis on buoyancy skills has always been important at GUE.

And the YMCA program also required neutral buoyancy skill for OW divers. For just a little longer than GUE. Like close to 50 years. So they are certainly not new ideas.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Regardless of what it gets called and who did it first..... My question is directly how are the PADI rank and file accepting the reform?

There will be new standards next year, but we have only had a list of the topics they will cover. The instructional practices described here are only part of the changes--there are many more on the list. The instructional practices described in this article add no time to the course whatsoever--it is just doing the same things differently. I have no idea what the other changes will bring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom