Article: Drysuits - Neoprene v. Fabric - Which is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add my two cents: I have dived neoprene (Poseidon), compressed neoprene (DUI CF200), and trilaminate suits (DUI TLS350). Compressed neoprene (very thin, like the CF200) is a balance of many of the virtues of both the neoprene and trilam suits. DUI claims that its CF200 is its most durable suit, so compressed neoprene might be more rugged than even many neoprene suits.

The Scubapro Everdry, which I believe is 4mm "crushed" neoprene (not as thin as compressed neoprene), looks like a real winner. A positive balance of neoprene, compressed neoprene, and trilam. And it's a fraction of the cost of the latter two. Never tried it, though I've heard good things, including that it seems to be back ordered for many months just about everywhere.

I was under the impression that crushed is thinner than compressed. At least that's what DUI claims: Drysuits made from compressed vs. crushed neoprene

As a person diving the Everdry 4 (roughly a dozen dives on it), I believe it's a compressed, not crushed. Though the suit is excellent, very flexible, fit's like a glove, and in 40 degree water i've been wearing a thin fleece shirt, sweatpants and wool socks. Warm for an hour although this was with little movement, if I swam more, i'd have been toasty warm the entire dive. 6'3" 200 lbs, I wear about 28 lbs of lead. Only thing I dislike about the suit, is once air gets into the feet it's a pain to get it out as the legs fit snug.

I love a old neo suit, the shell suits just dont keep you warm period, lots of undergarmets you sweat you get cold!
neo suits have come a long way, last long time.
to each their own!

I just dove my Hollis BioDry 100 which was amazing! This dry-suit had amazing flexibility and was very comfortable. I am able to donn/doff in under 5 minutes (most of the time is due to tying the boots). Even with suit squeeze the suit allows for movement due to it's flexibility of material. This dry-suit is just as comfortable as my 7MM wet suit. Every diver I was with this weekend was very envious. I used the new Lavacore long-sleeve top, bottom, and socks as my ONLY undergarments in 43 deg F water with strong wind gusts. I was warm throughout the entire dive and ride to/from dive site. I believe Hollis calls it Wearforce material and it is great.

Bare has the SB system. I saw it at the Scuba show, last week. Its a trilam fabric that actually does stretch. In fact the Bare Rep took a flashlight it shown through the fabric. Its light weight, has a front zip for easy donning.
One caveat, they do recommend that you also purchase their proprietary layering system. Most reviews, I've seen point out that is as close to a wetsuit for ease & flexibility you can get with a dry suit.
Up until now, I have been hesitant in going dry, because of the robot in 'lost in space" look & movement of most other suits....

Back
Top Bottom