Article: Drysuits - Neoprene v. Fabric - Which is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the article. It has me leaning more towards a neoprene style as I mostly just dive my local waters and the temperatures are 52-54 winter and 64+/- in summer. Most of the time I am comfortable in my 7mm suit and when the waters hit <59 I add a 5mm hooded vest.

I might be all wet, or dry, but:

Unless it is crushed neoprene (a DUI patented material) the material/trapped gas bubbles will compress at depth and drastically decrease its insulating ability. Hence you will still need adequate undergarments. I've used neoprene and shell. Can't say I preferred one to the other.

All the advantages listed as to why a person would buy a shell (trilam) suit are not just for travelers. Being lighter, more durable, drying faster and I find needing less lead are benefits all divers should be looking for. Instead of having a 3mm,5mm,7mm suits, I just choose the proper undergarments. I choose the fourth element system which easily fits in the my drysuit bag. Yes a shell suit may cost more, but the duribilty, lighter weight and the flexible that one suit can be dove in any water temp equals more diving throughout the year, anywhere.

As someone who spends many hundreds of hours in a drysuit every fall and winter, I say that neoprene is the way to go. My needs may be different than the average recreational diver's, but the durability, insulation and ease of repair with neoprene make it a no-brainer, IMHO.

BTW- the Bare D6 Pro I'm currently in is hands down the best drysuit I've ever used. Highly recommended.

I have been recently diving in a trilam drysuit. Fits well and works well. I purchased one of the less expensive drysuits-
Bare tri tec. So far I love the drysuit even though many people were telling me I should have saved my money and purchased
a more expensive drysuit from DUI. I'm also using several layers of thin undergarments which are quite comfortable.

Can't say I would go back to neoprene drysuits after using trilaminate Dive Rite, Dui or other brands of Dryusits I have sampled. I would always go trilam. Neoprene is heavy and takes too long for the dry suit to dry after rinsing for my taste. I want the lightest material available. I also dive wrecks and have had no problems with durability. If you are going to wallow around on the bottom ( lobster hunting) you may want to go with the crushed neoprene. Other than that I can't see why I would want to do it. I can put on enough underwear to stay warm, inflate with argon or use a heater vest if really needed. I have also talked nat geo folks fresh back from antarctic that say the neoprene or crushed foam holds water and freezes almost hard between dives where as vulcanized rubber or light tri lam such as DUI TLS 350 has no issues with freezing as it dries super quick. Haven't made it to the great ice yet myself, maybe one day.

Dry Rules!! I started out in DUI, believe in their quality, and have enjoyed their sales strategies (DOG Days are a GREAT way to try all the different combos of suits) so that is what I went with. I got the FLX 50/50 which is a part Neo (bottom) and part laminate (top) that give me durability in my legs / knees, while giving me better mobility on the top (IMHO). Either way - I love the fact that I can dive year round in Michigan without having to spend a fortune traveling! Oh yeah - the wrecks are awesome!

To add my two cents: I have dived neoprene (Poseidon), compressed neoprene (DUI CF200), and trilaminate suits (DUI TLS350). For me, a cold water woos, neoprene is hands down the warmest, even wearing lighter underwear. The air cells in neoprene of course compress at depth, but if you wear a high quality neoprene suit, the compression will be more limited and the suit will retain a good deal of its thermal properties even at depth. I've dove a couple old Poseidon suits, Unisuit and Jetsuit (still have the Jetsuit), both made in Sweden. The neoprene is almost bullet proof, FAR more durable than trilaminate suits. You ain't getting cold in those suits. On the negative side, bring on the lead, as you need a lot of it to get down. The suits are heavy. The suits take a long time to dry. These suits also do not afford quite as much flexibility as most properly fitting trilam suits, but newer neoprene suits might be more flexible. Neoprene suits are much less expensive than trilam suits, esp when you consider the cost of the underwear you might need with the latter.

Trilaminate suits are light and dry quickly. But they are only as warm as your underwear. If you need 400g of Thinsulate to stay warm, you better have a very well fitting suit in order to be comfortable and retain flexibility. While many 400g underwear jumpsuits are quite buoyant (and can vent air slowly), trilam suits will generally require less lead than neoprene suits. Get the credit card out, because a properly fitted trilam suit (maybe custom cut) with thick underwear (that is also as thin as can be--Santi, DUI XM450) is going to cost over $3,000, maybe well over.

Compressed neoprene (very thin, like the CF200) is a balance of many of the virtues of both the neoprene and trilam suits. DUI claims that its CF200 is its most durable suit, so compressed neoprene might be more rugged than even many neoprene suits. And you might need a tiny bit less underwear with compressed neoprene, as the suit does retain at least some thermal properties. And you might need less weight than with a neoprene suit. At depth, the CF200 is hands down my favorite. Less drag than a trilam suit, and you can feel it when finning. But it is heavier and slower drying than my TLS350. And if I get the underwear right in my TLS350, maybe the TLS is slightly more flexible, but the CF200 does have inherent flexibility, even though you have to work against the material a bit. And it's also expensive, like a trilam.

The Scubapro Everdry, which I believe is 4mm "crushed" neoprene (not as thin as compressed neoprene), looks like a real winner. A positive balance of neoprene, compressed neoprene, and trilam. And it's a fraction of the cost of the latter two. Never tried it, though I've heard good things, including that it seems to be back ordered for many months just about everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom