Article: Dive dry with dr. Bill # 580: "bombs" and "basses"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Thanks again Dr. Bill. Jewfish, uhh...I mean Black Sea Bass, uhh...I mean Giant Sea Bass are cool fish. I think I saw one at Anacapa a few years back.

On a different note, I brought up the Terrafin page for SoCal and noticed a plume of warm water trying to envelope Catalina Island. How warm is the water there?

markm

Water this winter has been unseasonably warm. On my last dive a week ago I had 61 or 64 F bottom temp (depending on which computer you believe)... quite pleasant for this time of year. I have rarely seen the bottom temp drop below 58 F the entire winter. Hope that doesn't foreshadow another El Nino on the way.

I had thought "jewfish" was also the common name for the Goliath Grouper. Is this the case of common names being applies to multiple species? Are there even other species labeled as "jewfish"?

Carl

True, Carl_F. It is interesting that the name jewfish (which many feel was derogatory towards those of the Jewish faith) actually originated because Jews felt the goliath grouper was the best of the kosher fin fish to eat (in part due to its size).

True, Carl_F. It is interesting that the name jewfish (which many feel was derogatory towards those of the Jewish faith) actually originated because Jews felt the goliath grouper was the best of the kosher fin fish to eat (in part due to its size).

So the Goliath Grouper and the Giant Sea Bass are the same species?

No, they just shared the same common name

Back
Top Bottom