Article: Dive dry with dr. Bill #564: Food fit for a... Beggar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So since this is my first year hunting bugs, and really my first year diving, I've been kind of turning this over in my head:What kind of reforms would you like to see to start boosting lobster populations? Limits on commercial fisheries? Both minimum and maximum sizes for lobster take? More closed areas, or areas at least closed to hoop netting and/or commercial trapping? Changing the season?

Commercial take is already regulated by trap entry sizes. It is the sport diver that takes the big ones with the highest reproductive potential. At least in my immediate area hoop net regulations are the ones that "bug" me the most. If hoop netters actually followed the possession rules, it might not be so bad. Of course some of those taking them on SCUBA don't either. However no one wants the enforcement folks checking their freezers (except the ones taking legal possession limits)!

Commercial take is already regulated by trap entry sizes. It is the sport diver that takes the big ones with the highest reproductive potential. At least in my immediate area hoop net regulations are the ones that "bug" me the most. If hoop netters actually followed the possession rules, it might not be so bad. Of course some of those taking them on SCUBA don't either. However no one wants the enforcement folks checking their freezers (except the ones taking legal possession limits)!

I mean, the biggest bugs I've seen are ones already in someone's commercial trap. Have there ever been studies linking fecundity to carapace size in lobsters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom