Artefact pillaging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The laws in the Great Lakes US side are a little different than those on the Canadian side. Many a American has found them a extra night in the great white north for taking things. I believe the US laws are getting tougher. Unfortunately not all are caught American or Canadian

river rat:
Just my 2 cents - here in South Carolina we are known for our fossil and artifact diving. We have a very comprehensive law that I feel is fair to both the state and the divers. The program is managed through the state's depart. of underwater archeology and anthropology. They administrators work well with the divers and many finds of historical importance are reported to the state that otherwise would not be. All the state asks is that you do a quarterly report and make your finds available to photograph and study, also brief on where the objects were recovered. There's a minimal cost for the license that a diver must carry and if you fail to make reports you might have dificulty renewing the license.
The South Carolina law is the one we are holding up to the Alabama legislature as a model of a good law that protects the State's interest while allowing collectors to collect. We are hoping to replace the abomination we now have with one similar to yours.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom