arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have had the new tray and arm in the water a couple of times now and I have the feeling that the arm is a tad too short. Also since it fell apart on me on the first dive I must admit I am a bit scared to push it too far and have it fall apart on me again.
Would you suggest getting extentions for the flexible arm and getting over my fear?
Or
Trying a different arm system? If yes, what would you suggest?

justleesa:
I have had the new tray and arm in the water a couple of times now and I have the feeling that the arm is a tad too short. Also since it fell apart on me on the first dive I must admit I am a bit scared to push it too far and have it fall apart on me again.
Would you suggest getting extentions for the flexible arm and getting over my fear?
Or
Trying a different arm system? If yes, what would you suggest?

Hey I used to use a loc-linc type arm before. Thought it was pretty good, but yes I also managed to pull it apart durning a dive. Now I use Ultralight arms. They are expensive and initially I thought they were annoying and hard to use but once you get used to them they are great. Wouldn't change back.

What do you mean by falling apart? Did the arm itself come apart or just loose from the base? I've been using the same Loc-line/Infinity arm for about 6 years, back to my MMII/dual strobe days, and I've never had the sections come apart...even when DM's held it by the strobe to lower it to me in the water or take it from me. Heck, I can hardly snap it apart and back together intentionally! It will get loose at the base is I don't use a lock washer.

I had the chance to try to ULCS arm sections on this last trip. If you have the money to spend on them, they will allow freedom of movement as well as the Infinity does. But they definately take a bit of time to learn just how tight to get the clamps. Too loose and they flo, too tight and you can't move them, but it's a small thing to get used to. I just can't justify that kind of money but if I dived as much as you do, I'd seriously consider them if you're unhappy with the other.

Hey Dee, when I was taking the picture of the shark I have posted in my gallery I pushed the strobe to get the right angle as the shark was within a part of the ship and the arm popped into 3 pieces I couldn't get it back together. Lucky for me the boss dropped by and popped it back together for me. Like you say Dee, it was hard to push back together. Since that happened I am afraid to adjust the arm too much, thus not getting the right angle, and when I get in or out of the water and the deck hand takes the camera by the arm...I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.
PS: What kinda money are we talking about for the system you suggest?

I really like the ULCS arm as well. A friend of mine is using Sea and Sea and I have seen parts of his strobe arms fell apart underwater as well. He is now switching over to UCLS arm as well. Not sure how much UCLS arm would cost there but for 2 strobe set up, overhere, it could easily cost a couple of hundred dollars or more.

Ryan has the ULCS 5"/8" set-up for $215. See why the Infinity looks good at $69? :wink: I actually was drawn to it initially not because of the price but because it was the only one available at the time that was so flexible, or so I thought. All I knew about was the S&S IV arms. Even if the others weren't so expensive, I've had no reason to want to change.

It just fell apart? That's strange. Are ya sure it was snapped together well? But I don't blame you for being uncomfortable with it.

Dee:
Ryan has the ULCS 5"/8" set-up for $215.

It just fell apart? That's strange. Are ya sure it was snapped together well? But I don't blame you for being uncomfortable with it.
one joint was the one that I put together out of the box and could have very well have not been together right, but the other one wasn't. It hasn't happened since...
How many joints does your arm have?

I think mine has 18 joints. 13 was too short to easily position the strobe over the housing for macro shots. Plus I lost a little flexibility ar the base when I decided to zip-tie the len dock there.

Dee:
I think mine has 18 joints. 13 was too short to easily position the strobe over the housing for macro shots.
No wonder I feel short. I only have 6 joints.

Yep....you're Shorty!

Back
Top Bottom