Question Arms being *very slightly* tingly after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isa.nerwen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm curious about what this could be because I'm sure it's not a DCS symptom.
It happens often that a few hours after a dive I feel my arms being slightly tingly. Only my arms, and it's just very mild, if I'm busy I don't really notice it but if not doing anything I do, no other symptoms.
I started my rescue today so there was a lot of going up and down, mostly very shallow water, but as I said it happened a few other times (when nothing potentially DCS dangerous happened).
On another note, it happened to me as well when I tried some drugs like shrooms or molly.
Maybe I have very sensitive skin? Something related to blood vessels? Should I be concerned?

What sort of suit are your wearing diving? How tight is it and is it a struggle to put it on or take it off? Any rashes after diving? What does your ascent profile look like on your computer?

And yes, call DAN and discuss this with them.

+ for DAN. When I was a very new diver, I was anxious after a dive about some things I was feeling. It was so long ago and I do not remember the exact details. I went ahead and called them and they were GREAT! Very caring, understanding, and eager to listen. Absolutely did NOT make me feel silly for calling. They reviewed my profile, talked to me about my concerns and what I was experiencing, and provided me with comfort and reassurance.

If you do not have a DAN membership ... GET ONE!

I’m certainly not going to tell you not to call DAN. And I’m going to agree with everybody else that a membership is valuable.

I will say this: I often have slightly tingly arms after a dive. I use a back plate and wing, with unpadded continuous webbing, hauling around doubles. I’m pretty sure it’s related to all of that weight pulling down on a bony structure. It is not painful, and is not really affected by movement. I’ve never tried going on oxygen because of it, so I don’t know if that affects it or not.

Just thought I would describe my experience: do with that information what you will. Maybe something like that is relevant for you. Or, maybe you have a heavily padded jacket BC and the lightest of light tanks and it’s not.

On another note, it happened to me as well when I tried some drugs like shrooms or molly.
interesting comment to add

Does this happen at other times? I get forearm and hand tingling (ulnar nerve paresthesias) on both arms when my elbows are bent at 90 degrees or more for a prolonged time like running, holding a book, phone. Diving puts my arms in that position but not usually long enough on a 20-30 minute dive to elicit it.

IMO because you’ve not done diving for very long I think this could be the fact your using muscles etc in different ways bbc than what you normally do, factor this with drysuit or semi dry and lugging stuff about, I doubt your dives have been very deep or for very long, it could be circulation but you strike me as being young so again unlikely,
For reference, I once worked as in inshore commercial diver on a job that needed a survey doing, we basically spent our days bouncing 12-18m for a good few hrs, nobody ever got a niggle.

Ps if your using nitrox getting fizzy on the shallow stuff is very unlikely on a rescue course

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom