Armor welcomes your input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See my answers below.

In a message dated 8/5/2009 4:03:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, support@scubaboard.com writes:
Hello,

You are subscribed to the thread "Armor welcomes your input" by Armor Bags, there have been 1 posts to this thread, the last poster was Ben505.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/armor-bags/227689-armor-welcomes-your-input.html

These following posts were made to the thread:
Which bag will meet my needs
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/armor-bags/227689-armor-welcomes-your-input-5.html#post4605019
Posted by: Ben505
On: August 4th, 2009 02:54 PM

I have:
Dive Rite Transpac with Rec wing
2 Reg (octo) with scuba pro SPG/depth gauge
body glove 7mil EX3, booites soft sole, gloves
scuba pro jetfin (they are really big and wide) (I wear a 10 1/2 - 11 sneaker)
---I got them a bit bigger to accommodate the hardsole drysuit boots. (diver concepts)
1 main dive light, 2 small,1 tank light
Mask / snorkel (mask in mask box)
sea drops, dive rite reel 130', wrist slate, wrist dive computer, surface marker, lift bag, zip ties (maybe small save a dive kit as well)
8'x10' walmart Tarp (beach diving)
sealife DC 1000 camera (no strobes yet, but will be probably getting 2)

I was looking at the:
#98 Armor Rolling Mesh Duffle Bag I'm not sure about the tarp and camera but the rest of the gear should fit in either bag. It will be tight though, especially depending on the bulk of the 7mil suit. I prefer the #98. Keep in mind that these were designed to be "boat bags", in other words, a bag to take only the gear you need for a particular dive, from the car/hotel to the beach/boat.
#86 Rolling Mesh Backpack

I rather like the idea of the rolling mesh backpack. Though getting the gear in and out easily when wet or dry was a little concern. I plan on diving from almost anywhere, beaches, rocks, dive boat etc.. plus I travel a lot so if it can collapse down flat and fit in a suit case even better. The rolling wheels seem to just make sense when there is a paved hill to go up and down at a California public beach. or just to ensure I don't tire myself out before the dive.

Do the wheels/ mesh hold up to sand abuse well?The wheel are particularly large and are the best available in dive bags, especially in rolling mesh bags. Whether or not the back and bottom of the bag holds up well to abrasion depends on how you treat the bag. If you allow it to drag; if you don't lift it over curbs and obvious sharp rocks, rough wood decks (you get the picture) then you will rough up the bottom of the bag. Our bags are made with good material on the bottoms but unless you want to pull around a Pelican case, all bags will get abrasions and tears over time. You can mitigate a lot of it though if you treat you dive bag as though you want to protect it.Will the rolling mesh backpack both hold all my gear above? See above. You may end up needing to carry a second small bag or camera case, or reg bag, if you take everything, everywere.- as well as allow me to shove it into the bag with ease when I am tired after 4/5 dives in a day?
what about dive weights? (what is the bags limitations) What can I say, the bag has a nice big U-shaped opening. it is as easy as any bag of it's type to put stuff into. How easy or hard depends on your gear. Don't just take my word, I would ask at an Armor dealer about other buyers/users of the same product and see what they say. The easiest bag we have to "shove" stuff into is our largest rolling bag (#89) which opens completely in the front and is easy to dump everything into at the end of the day. But it is a large gear bag, not a boat bag. (Note: as with any bag, if you want it to last a long time, make sure you wash it thoroughly with fresh water and dry it before storage after every use.)I am 5'10 How well does the backpack drag behind you? I'm 5'6" and its just about right. We do have "Extend-a-handle"s available to extend the handle of any bag.
As a seasoned traveler I found that only rollerblading fixed wheel suitcases are worth buying are your wheels comparable? (do you know what I am referring to?) Ours are the best wheels you can get for dive bag; period. I've sold over 6000 units with these wheels and have only had one come back. On these bags the wheels are the least of your worrys.
I am envisioning myself with all my gear stated above in the rolling mesh backpack on my back, 2 tanks in either hand, weight belt slung over the shoulder and perhaps a self built rig that allows a small day backpack to be attached securely to the top of the rolling mesh backpack. (holds my food, towel, logbook, dry stuff) Good luck with all that. FYI the #98 is not a backpack.

Do you think this would work? and would the rolling mesh backpack even accommodate the small backpack spilling out on top? Not sure what you mean here but I would not recommend putting any other bag on top of either of these two bags while rolling. Excess weight and overloading will be the eventual demise of any gear bag. (FYI, we do not warrant for carrying tanks or weights, including weights that are in a integrated-weight BC)
As I become a better diver I plan to take tech lessons and go to doubles. Is it feasible to rig a shoulder strap to the rolling mesh backpack to allow me to carry the doubles on my back and gear over my shoulders when I cannot wheel it? Doubles and a gear bag on your back? You're a Hoss dude. Seriously, I would suggest you get with your local dive shop professionals and look at the bags, load them with your gear, and it will become much more clear to you.

And finally where is the best place to buy your equipment that compensates your company the most? I am in the LAX area. After reading this post I am rather impressed with you company and salute your dedication to your customer. I am decidedly cheap, but if you are who you say you are then I am willing to pay well for such a product.

What do you suggest? We do have dive shops in the LA area, Dive N Surf is one of them. You can also call our Rep Ray Bullion (800-303-5141) who might point you to a shop nearer to you. If you need more information please contact me.-Ben

Question for the fine folks at Armor: I have and still use an Armor bag I bought new in 1996. It is a roller bag with a heavy ballistic type nylon front and a sturdy rigid plastic hard shell back. On the front there is an additional full length zippered compartment that easily holds a 7 mm wetsuit, and on the front of that there are 2 additional zippered sections. Bag has 2 stout wheels and also 2 rubber/plastic "feet". It also has a pull up handle in the back and a carrying strap as well as conveniently located nylon handles for hoisting the bag around. I cannot locate any model number or other description on the bag, so I'm wondering what model bag do I likely have. Unfortunately, I do not see it on the Armor website or at any authorized Armor dealers. Is it possible to get another, or are there any plans to release a similar design in the future? Thanks!!

You have our #1 bag (Ballistic Pullcart). We haven't made that bag in about 8 years but as you can see they lasted very well. At the time the required number to make got too high for diver industry sales so we dropped it. However we have made some effort to possible revive an upgraded version of that bag. Any potential to get it back in stock is still several months off but it might return to our line some time.

You have our #1 bag (Ballistic Pullcart). We haven't made that bag in about 8 years but as you can see they lasted very well. At the time the required number to make got too high for diver industry sales so we dropped it. However we have made some effort to possible revive an upgraded version of that bag. Any potential to get it back in stock is still several months off but it might return to our line some time.

Being scubaboard members, do we recieve any significant discout on purchasing your bags VS Akona bags:idk:

Thank you, Sir. It would be great to see this bag in the line up again. I'll keep my eyes open for it should that ever happen!!

Generally we sell Armor bags through our dealer network. Dealers set the ultimate selling prices and work with Armor to come up with incentives and value for divers that choose Armor bags.

Call us if you have a specific purchase interest and we can discuss how to get you into an Armor bag. 813-764-8844, 9-5EST, M-F.

I had a wheel collapse into the bag and had to drag it on a couple trips with Wheel partially collapsed. Bag is in rough shape. I got the RA# and am sending it back.

I got good service last time I had an issue so I am hopeful it will work out as well again...

Will keep posted...THX

Gary Tenison

Hi, I finally sent my bag in after christmas. RA#2287. Hopefully you guys either have it or will have it soon. Sent snail Post Office parcel....to plant city.

Gary, Jackson MI

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom