Arizona Cardinals Dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iam way beyond upset about the Cardinals lost tonight, but you know what, we lost by 2 and we havent been to the superbowl for ever!

Lets go for the -cough cough- Bronocs next year!

How do I post pics on here? The pictures came out good.

I forgot i took a few pics too before we hit the water. I usually upload to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and then copy and paste the img code.

scubapictures196.jpg

Well, they put up a great fight so we are leaving the island as the Cardinal's. Maybe next year, huh?

Keith,

No, thats triple now! lol Great job to the Steelers.....still a Cardinal's fan though

Cardinal's Island

We had a great time diving with the Scubateer’s on Saturday the 31st. When they docked at 9:00am the wind was blowing at a pretty good clip creating whitecaps on the lake. It made for a wet ride out to the first dive site; the 1702 wall.

Rob and Karen were our crew for the day. I buddied up with Myron for both dives. Myron is a great diver and it was a pleasure to dive with him. Bill (Phxski) and Josh (Josh1) teamed up as did Laura (Sea Princess), Willie (wet willie) and Don.

The first stop was the 1702 Wall located near the “1702“ sign marking the high water mark of the lake. What a site. Deep, vertical and dark. Rob led us down and along the wall using his light saber/light cannon/dive light. We descended to about 90 feet and tried to stay far enough away from the wall so we wouldn’t foul the visibility for the other divers behind us. The wall was great. There are overhangs and cavern-like features as well as a few man-made attractions. If you got tired while you were checking out the wall there is a cot set up on a ledge for you to lounge on. Temperature at depth was 54º. Visibility was pretty good when we started on the wall. Probably almost 40 feet at the outset. Unfortunately with eight divers in the water it didn’t take long for it to deteriorate.

Diving on The Wall was fun but our real mission for the day was to discover a new dive site. During the surface interval we discussed a few options. We were actually heading over to an area near Pipeline Cove. Then we saw an island that looked very promising. It had a vertical face on one side suggesting a very cool wall dive. The southern side of the island came nearly to a point facing about 150º. Cardinal’s Island had been discovered.

As we eased up to the island the Scubateer II’s bow was “nose to nose” with the pointed end of the island. Boat and shore were about 40 feet apart. We anchored in about 40 feet of water and everybody splashed in. I planned on swimming a large square starting at the anchor. Bill and Josh worked their way to the wall feature on the left side of the island. Laura, Willie and Don took the right side. Visibility was again great for Lake Pleasant. It must have been 40 feet and the temperature at depth was again 54º. During our previous surface interval the wind had died down and the air temperature was in the low 70’s.

If you like Tech Island and Scubateer Island, you’ll love Cardinal‘s Island. The point at the end of the island that Scubateer II was facing continued into the water and faded into the lake bottom at about 100 feet of depth. The underwater terrain was rocky; leading away from the island in all directions. Myron and I swam across the point for about 50 feet. A steep slope going down and to the left crossed our path. As we swam we were also descending. We descended to about 60 feet before turning left. The turn took us parallel to and down along the main slope. Large boulders and rocky lake bed finally gave way to a silt bottom at about 100 feet. There we found a good stand of old trees marking the bank of an underwater channel.

We swam through the trees for a little way. I wanted to see how thick they were and how deep the channel looked. It was pretty easy to pick a path through the trees but the channel looked deeper than I was willing to go right then. I got Myron’s attention and we turned left again.

It seemed that each turn showed a different underwater topography. Our turn took us back to the rocky area. The bottom contour raised as we approached the “hump” of the point then it fell away again. Somewhere along this leg I found a dandy fishing pole. There were plenty of little crags and crevices to shine our lights into, all along the way. Visibility was still pretty good; 30 to 40 feet. After we had gone about 100 feet we turned back toward the island.

Now we were swimming back up the slope. The bottom raised and fell during the entire dive and this leg was no different. Even though the general direction was up, there were some ditches and small trenches along the way too. When we got to about 40 feet I signaled our final turn back to the anchor. We maintained our depth and followed the shape of the island around until we found the anchor.

I can’t wait to get back to Cardinal’s Island. I want to explore the wall that Bill and Josh found. It would also be cool to circumnavigate the island at about 40 to 60 feet. It is certainly a recommended dive site and you can only find it while diving with the Scubateers.

Holy Cow Steve! You are quite the descriptive writer, how awesome. I feel like I was right there with you...Oh wait ...I was! Maybe I should just print this and put it in my dive log book.

It certainly was a great day of diving and you put it all together perfectly.

Hi Steve,

I really enjoy reading what you have to say after every dive...You always seem to take us back to the dive sites. Makes me want to go out everyday! Keep up the good writing. By the way, we have a pretty open boat this weekend. Prices are pretty inexpensive so spots will go quick. Let me know...

Thanks Laura and Karen. Its easy to write good dive reports when you have such great dive sites to write about and good divers to share them with. Not to mention the wonderfull job that Rob, Karen and Aaron do. I always enjoy going out with you guys. I'll be checking out VP this coming weekend but I'll catch up with you later.

Steve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom