Argon Tank Size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capeanndiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to add argon to my current set up. What size tank do you use and why? Would prefer a 6cf if it will work for two long dives hour+. Will opt for 13-14cf if convinced otherwise.

I currently use 13cu ft. I have ten 1hr+ dives on my current bottle and its still half full. The answer for you will depend on your usage per dive. Plus a seesaw profile will use it up as well. Another consideration is cost to fill, if there is no cost break between filling a 13 or a 6 then you're paying twice the cost if you use a 6cu ft bottle. Finally think of the offset weight and where you are going to locate the bottle. Depending on your bouyancy skills this affect your decision.

I found a very big difference in warmth when I switched to argon.

I think that you can use an AL6. I use a LP14, but many divers I know can get 2 deep dives (130'+) out of a AL6. It would last longer on shallower dives. It depends on the depth, profile, and how important pure argon is to you.

The AL6 is a much smaller bottle that gets out of it's own way, then again, I don't notice the LP14 on my backplate. The larger tank might take a while to get used to.

Some divers I know have several AL6s so that they can get them all filled and simply switch out for a fresh one.

For me, the LP14 is more convenient when I don't have access to argon for the weekend or the length of the trip- it will last many dives. I've been thinking about getting a pair of AL6s for boat diving when I know that I'll only be doing a limited number of dives. Think of it like wetsuits- what thinkness do you need for what water temp? Get the one that applies to most of your diving, and then get more later. :D

I am just getting into using a separate argon bottle myself. Can you switch back and forth between using air in the bottle and using argon? I would assume you could since argon is inert, but I don't know if there is any affect on the cylinder and valves. Also does everyone simply have a fill adapter to fill off a normal scuba tank when refills aren't available.

Thanks for the info......

Capeanndiver:
Looking to add argon to my current set up. What size tank do you use and why? Would prefer a 6cf if it will work for two long dives hour+. Will opt for 13-14cf if convinced otherwise.

I use a 6cf and can easily get 4 recreational dives out of it (and still have over 1000 psi left).

Obviously it depends how deep and how much depth changing you are doing on your dives. if you change depth a lot (say your cave goes up & down a lot) then you might use more.

I use a 6 cu ft cylinder for argon. As far as cost goes, the place I get mine filled (and most other reputable shops) sell argon by the cubic foot, so you are not paying more for a 6 than a 13 per cu ft. I also like the LP14 for argon.

I am also using 6cf and 13cf. LP tank has some benefit because of the low full pressure. You can get the full pressure very easily compared to non-LP tank. I prefer the small 6cf tank rather than one big one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom