Argon Setup for Drysuit....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm getting to the stage of diving with trimix, and naturally am going to get an argon setup for my drysuit. What do you folks recommend for this setup? I will primarily be cave and wreck diving, over long weekends or 5 days of diving, usually two or three dives per day. So, what size bottle? What type regulator? what features?

If it helps, I am a large person (6'2", 250#), and have a Viking Xtreme drysuit with quite a bit of extra space in it. I use my BC for bouancy, only add enough gas to the suit to eliminate squeeze.

Campana... you're a big puppy... but the extra gas will be minimal..

Here is what I use:
AL 6cf Luxfor bottle with a 300bar DIN valve..
AL Trident 1st stage with OPRV and Button type SPG..
Inflator hose..

But....
I also use a 72cf bottle of argon to pre-purge the suit before the dive. The little bit of argon you add will do no good at all if it is just being dumped in on top of air. Might as well just use air in your little 6cf bottle (some do.)

And....
I am also planning on getting another AL 6cf for dive trips so I don't have to reload. One 6cf is good for two modest dives with prepurging done by the 72cf.

More dive days planned between fill opportunities.... get more 6cf is my notion.

I will post a picture of our argon attachment method as soon as the camera gets back from where ever it is hiding.

That pre dive flush of the suit is key to keeping warm with the argon. I have a 6 as well and am looking to add another 6 or 13 cu ft. bottle.

Eric

thx for the info, i also will be switching to argon suit inflation. I converted my OMS 46 to a pre purge argon bottle. Just have to get a small 2 small 6 cu ft tanks and the accessories and im set.

Andy

Here is a picture of the argon attachment method I use. Credit goes to Andrew G. of 5thD.

The 2" nylon webbing is sized to fit snugly around the bottle with 1.5" extra on each end. A hole is melted in the center of the webbing at each end approximately 3/4" in from the end. Nylon zip ties are used to secure the webbing loop to the backplate. A loop of bungee is made by tying a knot and then passing the loop through a lower backplate hole from back to front. This loop is placed over the valve handle of the argon bottle to keep it from slipping down and out of the webbing loop.

This works great! The bottle stays tucked in close to your side out of the way, is very secure and can be removed very easily. The nylon zip ties have shown to be secure after 100+ dives

http://www.scubacity.com/unclepug/Argon.jpg

pugsley

ya gonna mark that bottle ??

:wink: omar

ps hard or soft webbing?

Originally posted by omar
pugsley

ya gonna mark that bottle ??

:wink: omar

ps hard or soft webbing?

Yes... thanks for reminding me...wouldn't want any old strokes to go breathing off the inflator hose when I wasn't looking...

Hard... weight belt scrap....

Eric PM'ed me that the set up pictured used to be considered stroke gear years ago and now Andrew G. is using it.

Note my post about the Ultimate Etymological Irony...
In one of the stroke threads

:wink:

I've done something very similar to Pugs setup, but rather than use zip ties, I bolted (with SS washers and lock nutt) the webbing to the back of the plate via a hole in the side of the plate. I used 3/16" bungie to keep the neck in the right place. I intend to have the inflator hose routed under the waist strap, under the shoulder strap and to the inflator (that's the plan anyway :)). I haven't dove it yet, but it'll work. At least I finally got if off my back tanks.

Thanks, UP.

Mike

BTW, I use a LP 14cf tank, old Sherwood Magnum DIN first stage (not too good due to it's dry bleed), OPRV, and button style pressure gauge. I have the IP set at 110psi. You want the IP set low to keep the inflation nice and slow. I think I have mine set as low as I can get it with the Sherwood. I want to buy another DS4 for the argon reg one of these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom