Argon scuba tank label

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ICUROK once bubbled...
According to DOT Argon needs to be labeled. I have never seen a scuba Argon bottle with the green sticker on it. Has everybody overlooked this? Any thoughts?

Scott :confused:

SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS*
SPECIAL LABELING INFORMATION
Argon shipment must be in accordance with Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations using the DOT "NONFLAMMABLE GAS" label. Consult DOT regulations for details on the shipping of hazardous materials

Scott
I don't know much about the dot requirements for individuals hauling around their own personal bottles but to flip the coin a bit, I have talked to a few dive shops in the past about argon and argon filling and remember them stating that they would not fill them unless there was some sort of label on the tank describing their contents.
(FYI)

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

ICUROK
First where you been? Now on to buisness...........I have yet to see an argon bottle with a green label. Green is usually associated with nitrox and or oxygen. I have on the other hand seen redish orange back ground labels with white letters reading ARGON not for breathing! I say this as an observation, and not necessarily out of fact! I do however have a lot of exposure to various gasses and it seems, in my mind any way, to make sense.
Long time no hear.........
Wreck/tec

Here is the label I was referring to.

Thanks Scott

According to DOT Argon needs to be labeled. I have never seen a scuba Argon bottle with the green sticker on it. Has everybody overlooked this? Any thoughts?

This might refer to a shipping lable. On most storage size bottles there is usaly a sticker that I belive has a fair amount of green in it that describes the gas and some precautions in handling or storing it. The sticker is usaly around the tank neck area.

[Bob3 You don't want a "non-flammable" lable on the critter, you want it IDed as being Argon, or at the very least, non-breathable.
Normal air & nitrox are non-flams too, don't forget. ]

A non-flammable gas is hazardous because it will displace the breathable air and cause hypoxia. I do have the argon warning sticker on the tank but was wandering about the non flammable warning. Scott

Back
Top Bottom