Argon Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Natural

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does argon really make that big of a difference when using your drysuit compared to just your breathing gasses?

With He backmixes, argon is a must. With nitrox/air, it's controversial, some people (and some studies) says it helps, other say's it's a very small difference. IME, although the argon feels warmer going into your suit, even with predive flushing, I could not really notice a dramatic difference. I would be sure that you are diving really nice underwear before you go looking for argon setups.

I've talked to a few people over the years and the responses I get are 50/50 some claim it helps and others say it doesn't make a difference. I don't use and it and haven't tried it since I'm too lazy to carry an extra bottle just for dry suit gas.

If you're diving trimix, it is absolutely necessary because He is cold cold cold. If you dive nitrox/air exclusively it's probably not worth the trouble, but if you go from trimix to nitrox, you might as well use it all the time instead of reconfiguring your regs.

pants!:
If you're diving trimix, it is absolutely necessary because He is cold cold cold. If you dive nitrox/air exclusively it's probably not worth the trouble, but if you go from trimix to nitrox, you might as well use it all the time instead of reconfiguring your regs.

ditto! :)

The Natural:
Does argon really make that big of a difference when using your drysuit compared to just your breathing gasses?
It's an individual, subjective answer. As pants! noted, if you're diving trimix IN COLD WATER, argon is a good idea. Much depends on how cold the water is, and how long your duration is. With water temps in the 60s, or even high 50s, I just use air in my argon bottle even when diving trimix. With water temps from the high 30s to low 50s, I'll use argon when breathing helium mixes. (Hell, with water temps in the high 30s I'll use argon no matter WHAT I'm breathing - whether it really works or not is irrelevant: it FEELS warmer! I'll take a psychological placebo effect any day in 30 degree water! :D )

So, whether argon is necessary for you or not really depends on you and where you're diving (as well as your undergarment and your tolerance for cold). If you aren't breathing helium mixes or diving in extremely cold water, the benefit you'll derive - compared to the inconvenience of finding fills and cost you'll pay now for argon fills - is doubtful.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

Thanks for all the info guys, I am just starting to use my drysuit now, and will be taking my Advanced Nitrox/Deco class late next spring, hopefully maybe moving to Trimix by late next fall.

I don't find argon any different than air as suit inflations gas and I dive in some pretty cold water. Often I will use my leanest deco mix as suit inflation when diving trimix so I don't have to deal with the extra gear.

OK, someone had to ask a stupid question, it might as well be me...

The density of argon isn't much different than air. I can't imagine there would be a lot of thermal differences if you just put air into an argon bottle, vs. actually using argon. So why not just use air in the drysuit inflation bottle when the He in the backgas would be too cold?

Fire away!

Back
Top Bottom