Argon Bottle Mounting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HullBlister

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for advice for mounting my 6cf argon bottle. My initial thoughts were to mount it using the DiveRite rig bolted to the right side of my BP. This would put the valve down and the valve knob pointing to the right with the valve opening and 1st stage pointing up from my back.

If I kept the bottle on the same side, I'm afraid I would not be able to get to valve as it would maybe get buried somewhere between the tanks, wing and plate.

Also, I assume that a button gauge is OK in this situation?

Just a sanity check to make sure I'm doing this the "right" way.

Thanks!

Blister

most people in the monterey area do the plate-mount like this:

Argon setup

there is some leeway in vertical positioning; the important thing is that you can reach your butt-dump without the argon valve getting in the way.

I don't use a button gauge.

Looks to me like it is a left side setup. Any problems with the deco bottle?

Thanks!

Blister

yes, left-side setup. no problem with deco bottles. when you put the rig on, it gets pushed up against the wing; much further back than your deco bottles.

haven't thought much about a right-side mount... I think it's possible it would get in the way of the canister over there, and would almost certainly get in the way of longhose deployment. The other problem over there (with a "normal-sided" valve) is that the valve handle will be pointed straight at your body instead of out to the side. This would make turning the valve on and off pretty tricky. Alternatively, you could have the handle out to teh side, but then the valve face is facing the wrong way and your reg is behind !?!

left side mount seems cleaner to me.

Sounds right to me.

Thanks

Blister

Left side is pretty much standard, button gauge is nice because it takes some of the guess work out of how much air is left in the tank, but is not necesary.

My one concern with the dive rite mounting system is that it has that plastic buckle on there that i'm assuming is preventing the tank from sliding out the bottom. If you're going to be diving with multiple stage and/or deco bottles I'd be more worried about that buckle getting cracked and your inflation bottle getting in the way. Then again, I guess if it was a major design flaw they probably wouldn't be selling them that way.

, button gauge is nice because it takes some of the guess work out of how much air is left in the tank, but is not necesary.

Not needed, not necessary, not readable during the dive. Best left on the store shelf.

Then again, I guess if it was a major design flaw they probably wouldn't be selling them that way.

You're talking about DiveRite. Major design flaws are their specialty. Jam-o-matic reels, Trans-crap BC, and don't forget about that scooter. I think their scooter set some kind of record for amount of design flaws.

I have a button gauge and they really are a waste of money. At this point its an exaggerated HP port plug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom