Argentinian Submarine Lost? News?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Harbor

by Leslie Nelson Jennings

There is a port of no return, where ships
May ride at anchor for a little space
And then, some starless night, the cable slips,
Leaving an eddy at the mooring place . . .
Gulls, veer no longer. Sailor, rest your oar.
No tangled wreckage will be washed ashore.

Hand Salute

Two

Bob

"Eternal Father" -The US Navy Hymn

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

Amen.

Excerpt from an eMail from ISA.

thumbnail

thumbnail
raw

Once again, my Brothers and Sisters, the members of ISA/USA send our condolences to our colleagues in Argentina.

We thank Bern Jeraca who sends this excellent Acoustic Report

This analysis is one-way submarines die:

ANALYSIS OF ACOUSTIC DETECTION OF THE LOSS OF THE ARGENTINE SUBMARINE SAN JUAN

By Bruce Rule

An analytical review of all information released by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization on the acoustic signal associated with the loss of the Argentina Submarine, ARA SAN JUAN confirms the following:

That acoustic signal originated near 46-10S, 59-42W at 1358Z (GMT) on 15 November 2017. It was produced by the collapse (implosion) of the ARA SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a depth of 1275-feet. Sea pressure at the Collapse depth was 570 PSI. The frequency of the collapse event signal (bubble-pulse) was about 4.4 Hz.

The energy released by the collapse was equal to the explosion of 12,500 Pounds of TNT at a depth of 1275-feet. That energy was produced by the nearly instantaneous conversion of potential energy (sea-pressure) to kinetic energy, the motion of the intruding water-ram which entered the SAN JUAN pressure-hull at a speed of about 1800 mph.

The entire pressure-hull was destroyed (fragmented/compacted) in about 40 milliseconds (0.040s or 1/25th of a second), the duration of the compression phase of the collapse event which is half the minimum time required for cognitive recognition of an event.

Although the crew may have known collapse was imminent, they never knew It was occurring. It is reasonable to assume the sailors did not drown or experience pain. Death was instantaneous.

The SAN JUAN wreckage sank vertically at an estimated speed between 10 and 13 knots. Bottom impact would not have produced an acoustic event detectable at long range.

The open question is: why was no corrective action - such as blowing ballast - taken by the SAN JUAN crew before the submarine sank to Collapse depth? According to Argentine Navy spokesman Gabriel Galeazzi, the Commanding Officer of the SAN JUAN reported a "failure" in the submarine's "battery system," The time of that report was 0730 on 15 November, assumed to have been GMT. Subsequently, the problem was reported to have been "fixed." The SAN JUAN intended to submerge and Continue its transit north. The SAN JUAN pressure-hull collapsed at 1358 GMT on 15 November.

The author of this assessment was the lead acoustic analyst at the US Office of Naval Intelligence for 42 years, analyzed acoustic detectors of the loss of the USS THRESHER (SSN 593) on 10 April 1963 and testified Before that Court of Inquiry. The author expresses his appreciation to those who supported this assessment with research and calculations.

As for his conjecture on not blowing ballast due to electrical problems, there is no way of knowing if they did for the same reason they did not hear the impact of the ship on the bottom. Because you take corrective action does not mean it works out well. As a submariner I would bet they were taking corrective actions to save their boat until the end, that is how submariners are trained and act.

Bob

Since the logo didn't show on the letter excerpt, ISA is the acronym for the International Submariners Association, of which I am a life member. I figured since the name was on the logo I need not spell it out, I was wrong.

Bob

Sad update, but those are cool links for all the other success stories they have. These are the stories i would rather read in news in stead of “President eats Cheeseburger In Bed” nonsense. Thank you for posting!

Very little information is given to the local news here in Argentina regarding the ARA San Juan submarine.
The last information given said that there is no new contact to investigate. Search of the submarine wreck is still active, however the amount of ships searching has been reduced. The families of the lost sailors are pushing hard to get some attention of the local news services to keep the search active.
The submarine is slowly being forgotten by the public. Every day new and astonishing news come to life.
Many submarines were lost during peace times. Several were found, several never. Those found, only few were retrieved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom