Argentinian Submarine Lost? News?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... If the sounds are from the sub it is now a race between getting the exact position, rescue gear on site, and the amount of breathable air in the sub...

I saw images on one of last night's national news programs that one of the US Navy's flyaway dive teams was mobilizing the McCann Submarine Rescue Chamber. I'm sure you know all about them but others my find the information in this thread on it and the Squalus rescue interesting: US Navy Experimental Diving Unit

I was trained to operate McCann Bell. It was great during the depression era 1930s, but is an extremely flawed concept by today's standards. I bet that a lot of Navy brass is having second thoughts over the decision to decommission the two DSRVs about now.

I'm sure everyone is doing everything they can and am hoping for the best.

I bet that a lot of Navy brass is having second thoughts over the decision to decommission the two DSRVs about now.

I hope it bites them on the a**. I have always the all voluntary military was a bad thing. Now it seems a reason to skimp, as there are fewer people connected to the military so the electorates outrage for this, or any a bad decision concerning the military, wont cost an admiral his star or a congressman their seat in congress.

As a submariner I know there is precious little bottom in the ocean that rescue vehicles can reach, but reducing the rescue capabilities from greater than the crush depth of our subs to 850' is unconscionable.

I'm sure everyone is doing everything they can and am hoping for the best.

As am I.

Despite the issues the UK and Argentina have.
It looks like the Royal Navy have redeployed one of their ship in the area to assist in the search. And the Submarine rescue team are on standby/deployed. (This news is a few days old

The Navies of the world have traditionally assisted each other during causalities, regardless of issues between governments. Its a different mindset on the high seas where the closest land is straight down.

Bob

I hope it bites them on the a**. I have always the all voluntary military was a bad thing. Now it seems a reason to skimp, as there are fewer people connected to the military so the electorates outrage for this, or any a bad decision concerning the military, wont cost an admiral his star or a congressman their seat in congress.

As a submariner I know there is precious little bottom in the ocean that rescue vehicles can reach, but reducing the rescue capabilities from greater than the crush depth of our subs to 850' is unconscionable.

Bob

I Don't know if it is the same in the USA. But here in the UK, far to many of our political representatives are professional politicians. They have no real world experience.

In the past they had real work experience prior to going into politics, be that industrial or military.

On to the main subject. I hope the submarine is quickly located, and the crew successfully rescued.
Unfortunately, I suspect that the outcome will not be this positive.
Submarines, by their nature are not designed to be found. (you have far more knowledge about this than I). Unlike a ship, it is less likely to leave any surface debris to help in its location.

It will be a great Thanksgiving If they can bring those submariners back home alive.

My money was on the P3's, the only other thing that could find a submarine was good luck.

You have A happy and safe Thanksgiving as well.

Bob

My money was on the P3's, the only other thing that could find a submarine was good luck.

Modern non-nuke boats sitting on the bottom are fantastically difficult to find, unless they want to be found. That includes US fast attack nukes looking for them. Hopefully they still have enough power and breathable atmosphere to make noise. I wonder if these boats have a "here I am" emergency transponder? Probably not since their primary job is to never to be found. At least it sounds like most of their course is shallower than crush depth.

I always thought the US made a poor decision not to build and deploy the small coastal defense submarines, as they are virtually undetectable and quite leathal.

As for transponders, we did not use any equipment that would radiate any signature automatically in order to avoid detection. Gear like IFF (identification friend or foe) could be used on the surface if turned on, but was secured on patrol. Since any gear like this, say a sonar transponder, has to be turned on, you would have to be able to get to it and have power to run it.

Even the rescue buoys were welded in place when we were deployed, don't know about now but during the Cold War. Would have made rescue by the rescue bell problematic.

Bob

Maybe cannot do this if power/air issues but can they launch something from one of the tubes? Something that would be buoyant and float. Not sure if actually done or not but you hear of WWII subs doing that to fool a destroyer into thinking they were sunk.

Even the rescue buoys were welded in place when we were deployed, don't know about now but during the Cold War.

Same in the 1970s and I doubt it has changed.

Maybe cannot do this if power/air issues but can they launch something from one of the tubes?

I imagine they can pump Diesel fuel overboard but it dissipates pretty fast in any kind of seas and from under a thermocline. There's not that much aboard that will float starting from 250+'. Besides, most torpedo tubes consume air during operation and that would be the most valuable commodity onboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom