Aren't "100" Dives enough!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree 100%. I can show you countless examples where the money was there and the IDC was there, but the experience was not. They are terrible instructors with terrible skills in the water, and they are trying to teach skills themselves that they themselves have barely mastered. But dude, go for it, I back you all the way. You guys make me look awesome by comparison. For what it's worth, I had more than 10,000 dives in Cave, Wreck, Tech and Commerical (Hard Hat Diver) before I thought I had something I could offer that other instructors were lacking. What do you have to offer that isn't already out there?

Walter has not been on the board for a couple years, maybe longer....... He still dives, and lives on FL's West coast. He is a great Instructor and diver and was a big part of this board for a long while. I miss his dry humor and hope we will dive together again one day. So let's leave 10 year old threads be and chill out.

One person's 1,000 dives may not be enough, yet another person's 100 dives could be. Someone who does all their qualifying dives in the same location under similar conditions with dives averaging just the minimum 20 ft for 20 min is hardly qualified IMHO. Another who does their 100 dives in a variety of different locations and conditions at varying depths may well be. All I know for sure is that I have thousands of dives over the last 50 years and I'm not qualified to be an instructor! Too much liability and too little pay for my tastes.

Walter has not been on the board for a couple years, maybe longer....... He still dives, and lives on FL's West coast. He is a great Instructor and diver and was a big part of this board for a long while. I miss his dry humor and hope we will dive together again one day. So let's leave 10 year old threads be and chill out.

Did this place suddenly become the deco stop? Or are we still free to express our opinions here?

And if walter = the OP.... 102 posts is hardly "a big part of this board for a long while" just by looking at his start date, end date and total number of posts.

The OP should just go diving. When people around you start learning from you, then you're ready to be an instructor. You will be learning from very average divers for a long time to come. Experience takes time in the water, variety in environments, a good solid scare or two and lots of learning from other divers - it's not about number of dives.

You'll know when it's time to be an instructor. Divers you respect will come to you with questions and you'll be able to answer them in a technically correct and helpful manner. That's when you go worrying about your IE.

January 2001, peeps!!!

:rofl3:

Wow!
Walter, Mario, King Neptune hizownself, SubMariner, Warhammer, Dee, Iguana Don...
A real blast from the past.
It *was* interesting to revue my own post from over a decade ago to see if I'd changed my mind...
Nope :)
Rick

Reactions: Jax
Interestingly enough the OP lasted only 3 weeks on SB...must be too busy underwater in some remote dive resort with no internet capability living the dream making tons of cash teaching multiple specialties...haha, couldn't resist!

On a related note, I couldn't agree more with the general theme of this thread. I've been an AI for over 2 years and know that I could teach the material; but I would rather have more experience. I dive weekly here in So Cal and recently took GUE - Fundies (last summer)...that was eye opening! There is so much more to learn, despite the number of dives I have (which are well over the required amount to take the IE). Like Walter mentioned, it's well worth exploring other agencies and gaining more time diving.

Hope the OP, and any other potential instructors, think about putting their time in vs punching their ticket and moving on toward instructor-hood.

Just my .02 psi

Back
Top Bottom