Aren't "100" Dives enough!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that it is wrong to critisise anyone who has an aim or target in mind for a future career. There is nothing wrong with the way in which LoCz is planning to do this. I am sure that along the way enough experience will be gained in different environments to give the diver a well rounded dive profile. One advantage of doing it this way is that he can plan his dives with this in mind.
A lack of 'real' dive experience does not automatically make someone a poor instructor, and a lot of 'real' dive experince does not automatically make someone a good instructor. Some experience, both theoretical and 'real' are needed but there are other factors involved in becoming a good instructor.

No offense Walter but i hope your not an Instructor because assumption (of which you have plenty) is one thing that could well get you killed in the field,. I am an Individual and as such you have literally zero knowledge of what i am capable of so how dare you judge me? If your judging a "model" of an individual then fine but it doesnt sound that way. I understand your justified worries about poor Instructors. The path that i will eventually take will be the correct one and i WILL NOT Instruct unless i know for a fact i have the skills to do so.

Carry on Walter but try to put some substance into your messages since they just sound like your answering back for the sake of it.

:goofy:

Kevin, What you say has substance, and I can definitely relate to the mentality of it. Point taken.

LoCz, Walter is a prominant and well respected YMCA instructor, and though I too disagree with him on numerous occasions I still respect his opinions. I'm quite sure he is a good instructor. First and formost he cares enough to sit at his keyboard day after day and offer his wisdom to the masses here at Scubaboard. I hope you won't disregard his future comments because of the progress of the present one.

Sea you all in the Deep Blue,
Mario :D

I thought my last post was a peace offering. I guess it didn't come across that way. My post was very short, "Regardless of if it's right or wrong............"

Here, I'm recognizing that there is a difference of opinion.

".........he certainly won't be alone and he'll have the backing of the largest agency in the world. "

Here I'm explaining that my opinion is certainly a miniority opinion. I'm sorry if that didn't come across.

In response to your comment,

"I am an Individual and as such you have literally zero knowledge of what i am capable of so how dare you judge me?"

I have not judged you. I do have a very strong opinion about your plans to become an instructor. You don't care for my opinion and that is certainly well within your rights. It's your life, it's your choice.

"The path that i will eventually take will be the correct one and i WILL NOT Instruct unless i know for a fact i have the skills to do so."

A very commendable attitude. I hope you are better able to judge yourself and you abilities than many of us. Often, we find it difficult to see ourselves as we truly are.

"because Walter is an instructor does that mean i cant question his opinion?"

Question everything! It will do you well if you do become an instructor. Don't blindly follow anyone. Think about everything, don't be a puppet of anyone or any agency. None of the agencies are perfect and neither are any instructors.

While I disagree with your plan, I certainly hope you prove me wrong and I wish you luck in achieving your goals.

Mario, thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure anyone in the Y program would describe me as being "a prominant and well respected YMCA instructor." I'm certainly not as prominant in the program as I was a decade ago.

Because of our disagreements, I've come to respect you and your opinions as well. When I agree with everything someone says, I rarely get an opportunity to view "the other side" and the topic rarely gets discussed in as great a depth. OTOH, we do agree on many issues.

Walter

Well said Walter, will I have the opportunity to meet you at DEMA this year? If so we should all agree on a good date and time to meet in front of the ScubaSource booth and get a group photo taken. I'm sure :royal: won't mind posting that somewhere on his site.

P.S. I will only be in New Orleans the middle two days of the trade show.

Sea you all there!

No malice intended just a good ol difference of opinion. Of course i respect your opinion Walter.. you posted a message about myself/my plans that wasnt directed to me and thus i felt a little invisible and thay my opinion accounted for nothing also. Just dont assume that i will end up a poor instructor like the majority of people who take my route (if indeed they do become poor instructors which i am sure some of them do).

Will you explain further please Walter and if you could voice your opinion on why my plans are bad in your eyes :)
I am a perfectionist so i require heavy amounts of criticism when i am learning, so shoot.

:goofy:

Walter, No worries... perhaps next year. Let me know the next time you're going to be in my neck of the woods and I'll show you a couple of cool dive spots.

.....besides, I have thick skin. I wasn't offended.

You felt I was attacking you. When attacked, most of us get defensive and often strike back. It's understandable.

I thought I explained my reasons for not liking your plan. My opposition comes mainly from two areas. The PADI schools have a major weakness IMHO (any school of this type of whatever agency would have the same weakness, but I'm unaware of any other than PADI). That weakness is students progressing through the school learn in a very controlled environment. They get very little practical experience and the rarely get to see anything other than the "party line." A program that allows a more varied experience would give you a better background, IMHO.

The other objection I see is at this point of the process, I believe it is impossible for anyone to know they have any aptitude for diving. I know you strongly disagree with respect to yourself on this point.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your future.

Walter

Back
Top Bottom