Are you still imperial?

Do you use imperial or metric when diving?

• Imperial, my country's system

Votes: 86 60.1%
  • Imperial, tough my country is metric

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Metric, my country's system

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Metric, though my country is imperial

Votes: 14 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grew up in America on the Imperial system, and began my diving in Malta on metric measurements. Dived once on Imperial and hated it, really only because it wasn't what I was used to for diving. I can go between the two now since my equipment has metric and my hubby's is Imperial, and my American friends are in awe since they can't make the conversions (and don't have to unless they dive somewhere else...) I prefer the metric AND the diving somewhere else (that's warmer and more exotic!)

OK maybe it's 12L for 100 cu feet.
or maybe 10L my biggest problem is having to convert at all. Even manufacturers web sites have different info sometimes. That is where I got my original conversion from and it would appear I was wrong.
But I know how long I can stay at any given depth with my tanks, metric or imperial, it's what my gauges read that's important to me.

KrisB:
I thought a standard-pressure (~3000 psi) AL80 was equivalent to a 12L tank...

Thank you for Canadians :)

I'm getting the picture now. You "Imperialists" :wink: are doing things a bit different. Here we always go by the actual size of the tank (10, 12, 15 etc liters), and then the working pressure (200, 232 and 300 BAR). We can then just multiply up to see the total air volume. We have to take into consideration the "loss" with the 300 BAR tanks due to compressability factor. Pretty easy, really. Also taken into consideration we always know the displacement of a tank, so if borrowing tanks from others we can adjust our weights fairly precise before diving.

It also seems the working pressure of my tanks (4400 psi) is enough to scare you Americans, ha ha :D

Here is something to add to the confuson factor. Machine tolerances in the US are usually stated in mils. 1 inch (1/12 of the kings foot) gets divided into 1000 parts and 1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch.

Worked a construction job once where they used the metric system. Once you got used to it, adding and subtracting mm WAS more convient than adding and subtracting fractional inches. Never had to convert eights, quarters or halfs into sixteenths and the sixteenths back to eights, quarters or halfs.

fmw625:
Here is something to add to the confuson factor. Machine tolerances in the US are usually stated in mils. 1 inch (1/12 of the kings foot) gets divided into 1000 parts and 1 mil = 1/1000 of an inch.

Worked a construction job once where they used the metric system. Once you got used to it, adding and subtracting mm WAS more convient than adding and subtracting fractional inches. Never had to convert eights, quarters or halfs into sixteenths and the sixteenths back to eights, quarters or halfs.

Ok, here's my proposal: From tomorrow the USA swithches to metric. You'll have a struggle for about a week, but then you've all figured it out. And as a bonus, gas will be cheap again since you will be calculating the price in liters :wink:

Ok?!

Most projects with a British design hand in it, including the Avoirdupois (Imperial) system, are always an ***'s horse. Have been since the 17th Century. Just ask anyone who has ever owned a British car, or worked on a British-designed ship or aircraft. Sure, it performs as advertised, most of the time, but it's always a right devil to maintain.

The Brits have made some great stuff, including the jet engine and radar in WWII, but metric makes way more sense today.

discrepancy:
....Just ask anyone who has ever owned a British car, or....QUOTE]

I drove a Triumph Bonneville for a while. Everytime it smelled a cloud of rain in the vincinity the lights shut down. And then after about 10 minutes of clear skies it returned. The electric system was made by, guess, LUCAS! The man who invented DARKNESS.... :D

Besides, Britain is for some reason totally rejective to anything the French uses, including anything metric. Could that be the connection here?!

Boys we use DIN and Metres over here :)

KOMPRESSOR:
I drove a Triumph Bonneville for a while. Everytime it smelled a cloud of rain in the vincinity the lights shut down. And then after about 10 minutes of clear skies it returned. The electric system was made by, guess, LUCAS! The man who invented DARKNESS.... :D

Besides, Britain is for some reason totally rejective to anything the French uses, including anything metric. Could that be the connection here?!
I can sympathise, sincerely and deeply. The 'Bonnie' was a wonderful machine, but Mr Lucas was my arch nemesis too when I had my old MGB Mk1. With Mr Lucas designing things, you could never tell when you'd pull up at the lights with the sun shining, top down, and a new girlfriend beside you smiling like a movie star and enjoying the ride. Then you'd dutifully indicate to turn at the lights and suddenly find yourself fighting a dashboard fire...That's just British electrics...par for the course.

I won't go on about the Bendix starter motor. This thread is supposed to be about metric. Same story though. I always loved the Bonnie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom