Are you Kidding me ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really sorry that I made the first post. Now I'm a bad guy just because I stated that I didn't get the same response as @racanichou . I love their products and will continue to use them.
Have a good diving day.

Cheers -

I'm really sorry that I made the first post. Now I'm a bad guy just because I stated that I didn't get the same response as @racanichou . I love their products and will continue to use them.
Have a good diving day.

Cheers -

Always good to speak out and keep all of the OEMs honest. Many of us divers on ScubaBoard are dependant on posts like yours and also racanichous. Cheers.

Have a good diving day.

Cheers -
You are not a bad guy at all, I’ve been using Shearwater since day one, and with the demise of my suunto stinger, I’m looking at a teric. If there is software issues, I’m happy to wait to buy one. Will it not communicate with the old tried and true Shearwater desktop? I do not invite the cloud into my life.

Have a good diving day.

Cheers -
No one said you’re a bad guy - but why drop a negative comment in a thread about great SW support if you won’t even take to time to explain the details of your issue?

Not the cloud, just the software.
Which software are you referring to? There is the Bluetooth from your Teric/Perdix to your computer. There are two kinds of software on the computers (the old desktop and the new cloud). You speak of getting your data into your electronic log program; which one is that? Is it something other than Shearwater? Which one? What computer is your electronic log on, MAc, Windows, Android, iOS? There is a LOT of experience on here, and it's possible someone can help....but not without a bit more information.

You are not a bad guy at all, I’ve been using Shearwater since day one, and with the demise of my suunto stinger, I’m looking at a teric. If there is software issues, I’m happy to wait to buy one. Will it not communicate with the old tried and true Shearwater desktop? I do not invite the cloud into my life.
The Teric will not communicate with the SW Desktop. It will communicate with the SW Desktop Cloud software on my PC running Windows 10 - just not mine at the moment.

I really like the Teric. I only have about 30 dives on mine and I'm still getting use to the navigation of the computer. Most of it is intuitive, but I have gone down the wrong path more than a few times when wanting to check something or change a setting. I may be a slow learner. I use one of my Perdix AI as a backup. I'm going to sell the other one with a transmitter.

Again, it does not communicate with the original SW Desktop software. I even tried to import some Teric dives into it and it wouldn't accept the file format. I hope @Shearwater changes that but I don't think they will. I think the only hope is if they sell the software to or contract a 3rd party developer to enhance/maintain desktop. We'll see.

Cheers -

Edit: Corrected a misspelling and added type of computer and operating system

I will find another watch and happily continue on with my Predator.

I do not invite the cloud into my life.
There is a lot of hate on SB for the Cloud in general, and the Shearwater Cloud program specifically. But the latter may just be a misunderstanding...

When you upload from your Teric/Perdix to the device you are using (iOS, Android, Windows, whatever) it is ONLY going to that device, not to the "cloud." Your data NEVER goes to the "cloud" unless you tell the program to send it. So you can log away to your heart's content, without ever invoking or needing the "cloud."

However, suppose you want to update your firmware in your Teric/Perdix; then you have to go get the new firmware from Shearwater and go through the update process...which is what the Shearwater Cloud app on your devices does for you. So far, it is functionally like the old Shearwater desktop....your Teric/Perdix speaks only to your device, and your device goes and gets any new firmware you need. What the Shearwater Cloud app (iOS, Android, Desktop) does in addition is allows you to store your data on Shearwater's servers (the "cloud") and synchronize it between devices.....if you want; you do not have to do this. So, on a dive trip, I can upload my Teric to my phone, when I get back on the internet I can sync my phone to the "cloud," and when I get home I can sync my desktop to the "cloud," and there is my dive data.

The Teric will not communicate with the SW Desktop. It will communicate with the SW Desktop Cloud software on my PC running Windows 10 - just not mine at the moment

I think if you have a new post with that issue then other Windows 10 + Teric users might have your issue fixed in 5 minutes.

re SWCloud ... please see below ...

There is a lot of hate on SB for the Cloud in general, and the Shearwater Cloud program specifically. But the latter may just be a misunderstanding...

When you upload from your Teric/Perdix to the device you are using (iOS, Android, Windows, whatever) it is ONLY going to that device, not to the "cloud." Your data NEVER goes to the "cloud" unless you tell the program to send it. So you can log away to your heart's content, without ever invoking or needing the "cloud."

However, suppose you want to update your firmware in your Teric/Perdix; then you have to go get the new firmware from Shearwater and go through the update process...which is what the Shearwater Cloud app on your devices does for you. So far, it is functionally like the old Shearwater desktop....your Teric/Perdix speaks only to your device, and your device goes and gets any new firmware you need. What the Shearwater Cloud app (iOS, Android, Desktop) does in addition is allows you to store your data on Shearwater's servers (the "cloud") and synchronize it between devices.....if you want; you do not have to do this. So, on a dive trip, I can upload my Teric to my phone, when I get back on the internet I can sync my phone to the "cloud," and when I get home I can sync my desktop to the "cloud," and there is my dive data.

In an attempt to help the SWC 'situation' I made this post: SW Cloud - improvements, feature requests, fixes etc. Let's help make it better.

I'm still yet to hear what features there are on other 3rd party apps like MacDive that are missing on SWC ...

The Teric will not communicate with the SW Desktop. It will communicate with the SW Desktop Cloud software on my PC running Windows 10 - just not mine at the moment.
I have had consistent problems getting my Teric (and my Perdix, back when I still had one) to talk to my DELL XPS 8500 running Win10 Pro. Shearwater worked with me to fix that, but I resisted many of their suggestions because I wanted to have the "Dell Wireless 1703 BT" (part of my computer) do the work and not have to go to the separate BT dongle they provided. I finally gave up on my approach, used theirs, and all is well. My Teric now talks to my Dell desktop on Win10, my Lenovo laptop on Win10, and my Android phone and tablet. All running Shearwater Cloud, of course. Part of the trick was stripping out all the old pairings and devices and basically starting fresh with the plug-in BT dongle.

As for the old Shearwater Desktop, it worked fine with my Perdix and was kind of like an old pair of shorts, very comfortable and very much like other old programs.

Being able to get my Teric downloaded to my phone while at lunch on a liveaboard is terrific. My desktop has turned into the last place I put my data, instead of the first.

The only thing I miss in the Shearwater Cloud -- both desktop and Android versions -- is some customization, like reversing the dark format and entering tank size so I can get RMV, and the ability to print screen.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom