Are you calling me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly you have some axe to grind. If you think that you can help restore a reef by tossing bread out then there are probably groups out there that will fund you and let you try it. The ecology of reefs is well-studied, as is what happens when different groups are removed from the ecosystem. These studies have been working very hard to restore the reefs that have been screwed up - and this ranges from patrols to stop illegal fishing to 3D printing reef structures, interconnecting reef blocks, growing corals in nurseries to kick-start reef regeneration, developing drones to automatically identify and kill Crown of Thorns starfish, etc. Different things work in different parts of the world to offset different problems. But if a group can get finding to paint the rocks around a glacier white to slow it melting then someone may fund you to throw out bread. Not all species of fish, or the invertebrates eat bread just as carnivorous animals can't be trained to eat tofu.

Maybe you can get funding to play Mozart to trees to accelerate reforestation? Or maybe listening to Death Metal will make the dreaded Crown of Thorns stars infertile? There is a lot to explore here...

The article claimed that the fish returned to dead corals to listen to underwater loudspeakers. However, it said nothing about the outcome. Were the fish disappointed when they realized they got nothing but noise? How long did they stay, on average? Was there any effect on the coral? Were there any signs of coral recovery? What were the possible side effects, like, how did dolphins and sea turtles react?

So it seems to me that the goal of the study was to check if the fish could be fooled to temporarily return into the dead coral areas. Thus, I proposed to use bread crumps instead. This is a far less expensive way to get fish's attention, and at least some of them will eat bread and be happy, so you won't be fooling them. But, of course, there will be no point to submit a paper to Nature Communications in the end.

Too late, cause all food chains in the oceans are broken now by overfishing and the corals are dying en masse, so such pseudoscientific puritanism causes nothing but harm.

The reality is, there are no completely natural ecosystems anymore. As Bill McKibben warned back in the 80s, climate change means that even the weather must be considered, not a natural phenomenon anymore, but a mixture of natural and manmade.

I remember a job I had when I was a younger man, managing invasive plants in "natural" areas. Spot application of glyphosate herbicides on the exotic invasives, so that the native species have room to survive. I expressed my dismay at such a hands-on approach to "nature;" but my supervisor said that there really isn't anyplace where we can just build a fence around it and walk away. Is feeding breadcrumbs to the fish any worse than annually rounding up every California condor for its veterinary care? The condor is a magnificent bird; but it is difficult for me to think of it as still part of nature.

The reality is, there are no completely natural ecosystems anymore. As Bill McKibben warned back in the 80s, climate change means that even the weather must be considered, not a natural phenomenon anymore, but a mixture of natural and manmade.

I remember a job I had when I was a younger man, managing invasive plants in "natural" areas. Spot application of glyphosate herbicides on the exotic invasives, so that the native species have room to survive. I expressed my dismay at such a hands-on approach to "nature;" but my supervisor said that there really isn't anyplace where we can just build a fence around it and walk away. Is feeding breadcrumbs to the fish any worse than annually rounding up every California condor for its veterinary care? The condor is a magnificent bird; but it is difficult for me to think of it as still part of nature.
The funny thing is, when they have to find an excuse for deep sea sewage dumping, one of the arguments is that some species of fish benefit from it. No worries about food chains disruption when it suits us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom