• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh!!! I almost forgot... "they have them, you can't keep them from them. You don't need a gun until you need a gun, if you have no use for a gun, then you won't be able to use a gun if you have gun and need a gun. I would suspect that most people that have been "gunned down" because they had no use for a gun or thought they did not need a gun because they thought they had a cop at their side! Now I'm dizzy!

when seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

That anyone who is armed is dangerous is faulty reasoning. I put firearms in the same category as life preservers, parachutes and fire extinguishers. In the hands of law abiding citizens-and they are the vast majority- their function is to save lives and property. Indeed, in the vast majority of cases the mere presence of a firearm in the hands of a potential victum dissuades the miscreant without firing a shot.
Would you put the weak at the mercy of the strong? The individual at the oppression of the many? Hitler taught the Jews that the weak shall inherit the earth but it is generally only the first six feet. They are no longer meek.

yep......locked, cocked and ready to rock !!! (sorry if someone else has aready said that )

That anyone who is armed is dangerous is faulty reasoning.....

Not faulty reasoning... Deadly Accurate. I am VERY dangerous to those who would do harm to my family or myself.

It's simple, guys. You can choose to a great extent how much risk you expose yourself to on the streets.

Of the people who would *normally* carry a gun on the streets, maybe 3% of them are normal well adjusted individuals.

R..

To your first statement, you never know when trouble is going to find you! You can be in a comfortable, upscale neighborhood and things can turn sour before you know it. I have never had a fire in my kitchen but I still have an extinguisher next to the stove

On the second statement I just don't know where to begin. That seems like the usual brush most liberals attempt to paint 2nd amendment supporters with: a bunch of whacked out recluses who are stock piling "assault" weapons. When I went through my CHL class there were 12 others in there with me. Several were women who feared ex boyfriends/husbands, a couple older gentlemen whose motives were unstated, and then your usual run of the mill sorts. I was there because my job started taking me to the U.S./Mexico border and, despite what they keep telling us in the news, a lot of the illegals coming across the Rio Grande aren't here to be find upstanding citizens. That coupled with the fact that they have turned the border cities into the Kidnap Kingdom.

Your mileage may vary but my 1911 is always 8+1

Well, since it was left deliberately vague, I'd have to say armed with a concealed weapon at all times except when at work, there are plenty of weapons there anyways. When at home, the rule is that if anyone steps through the front door with bad intentions, I'll gladly give them a one way ticket to the coroner's van through any number of means available to me. If somehow they do get back outside and begin to run off, a loaded .270 is waiting to make sure they'd only die tired and weighing a few pounds less if you know what I mean.

The safety of my family and those I love is my first priority, no one will ever be able to touch them as long as I am here, I can guarantee you that. I am all for my government, and I intend on serving a full four years upon completion of my college degree as I believe all able people should. However, as in all things, I am not one who believes a person should have something forced on them, whether it be religion, a way of thinking, or a threat to their rights. But It is my human right to protect myself, and I have no problem enforcing it upon others if they wish to test it. Simply put, no government could successfully take away my right to bare arms.

Something to ponder. The average hit ratio for an officer of the law is 1 out of every 8 shots fired. Thats 7 chances for the suspect to escape unharmed. You give a firearm to a well rehearsed, personal defense educated citizen, and I can promise you it wont take more than 3 or 4 shots for the suspect to be down for the count, and possibly a very long count at that. Consider personal defense training, training in firearms especially, an investment in your own security. Call it a life insurance policy.

Something to ponder. The average hit ratio for an officer of the law is 1 out of every 8 shots fired. Thats 7 chances for the suspect to escape unharmed. You give a firearm to a well rehearsed, personal defense educated citizen, and I can promise you it wont take more than 3 or 4 shots for the suspect to be down for the count, and possibly a very long count at that. Consider personal defense training, training in firearms especially, an investment in your own security. Call it a life insurance policy.
The 1 in 8 probability is only true for engagements that occur under 25'. The hit probability falls to half that at ranges over 25' and it falls to half the 1-8 rate at ranges under 25' if the officer is under fire. It also decreases by about a third at any range under low light conditions.

At ranges of 25 yards, the hit probability is only 4% - and that is the range most officers qualify at.

The hit probability is slightly higher for officers firing semi-auto pistols and the average officer also fires 3-4 rounds per engagement (3 with a revolver and 4 with a pistol). The exception here is the bunching effect that occurs when multiple officers are involved - in that case, the number of rounds fired with 2 or more officers involved doubles. At the same time, the hit probability is half what you see with only 1 officer involved and it halves again with more than 2 officers - to around 9% over all engagements at all ranges.

One of the more disturbing numbers is that about 20% of all police shootings are mistake of fact shootings where the suspect is unarmed, or where the officer claimed to have seen a weapon but one was not found. 75% of these occur in low light conditions.

The implications for firearms training for LEOs is that it needs to focus on improved firearm basics, training on the on the tactical and combat related aspects of firearm use, and stress innoculation training.

The irony here is that most LEOs are not "gun people". Their only firearm use may be when qualifiing 2 to 4 times per year and most are not likely to shoot as a hobby or recreational acticity, are unlikely to compete in competition. On average, they will demonstrate a much lower proficiency in firearm use or tactics than many CCW permitted civilians who shoot frequently for recreational purposes, for proficiency or for competition in either target or tactical matches.

That is not to say the average civilian shots better than the average LEO, but it does demsonstrate that a subset of CCW holders are very proficient yet do not fall into the "de-ranged gun nut category. At the other extreme the average LEO shoots much more proficiently than the average criminal or gangbanger - this is consistent with most officers who are shot being shot at ranges of 6' or less.

Edged weapons pose a significant threat as well, in part as over 90% of the time, an officer will not be able to draw and fire in the time it takes a knife wielding assailant to close from a range of 21'.

The above are LEO stats, but they support the concept of the CCW shooter obtaining solid firearms training including training in personal defense tactics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom