Are you a garbage collector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On my most recent dive (Blue Heron Bridge, Florida) I picked up some wads of fishing line and hooks while I was diving and carried them around in my thigh pocket for later disposal. I left a corroding duracell battery, though, because I had nothing to put it in that wouldn't contaminate my gear and while I want to help clean up clearly corroded batteries can be seriously nasty to handle.

I wish I had a plastic baggie or something I could have put the battery in but I'm not sure it would have helped.

Anyway, how much do you collect/clean as you're diving and what do you "leave for more prepared cleaners" like the battery I mentioned above? Do you carry anything special for cleaning up on routine dives or just on "clean up days"?

I have a dive rite pouch that I wear on my waist strap. Everything including corroding batteries go in it. Sometimes I even remember to empty it when I'm done diving.

I do pick whatever crap that I come across up and bring it with me, as long as I can do so safely..
Fortunately I dont find much as others is also generally good at picking up crap at my most used sites :)

On my most recent dive (Blue Heron Bridge, Florida) I picked up some wads of fishing line and hooks while I was diving and carried them around in my thigh pocket for later disposal. I left a corroding duracell battery, though, because I had nothing to put it in that wouldn't contaminate my gear and while I want to help clean up clearly corroded batteries can be seriously nasty to handle.

I wish I had a plastic baggie or something I could have put the battery in but I'm not sure it would have helped.

Anyway, how much do you collect/clean as you're diving and what do you "leave for more prepared cleaners" like the battery I mentioned above? Do you carry anything special for cleaning up on routine dives or just on "clean up days"?

I pick up line, hooks and anything dangerous. Bottles, cans, etc. stay.

Never found a battery, but I think I'll start carrying a baggie with me.

flots.

I pick up the true garbage myself, but I read an article a number of years ago that cautioned that one should be judicious in doing so. It doesn't take long for an item like a bottle to become part of the local biosphere. It may become the home of a number of minute creatures very quickly. In many cases, the item may already be so much a part of the ecosystem that removing it will do more harm than good.

Most people have seen the extreme cases in which an item (like an old cannon) is encrusted with coral. No one would think of moving it. At the other extreme is the potato chip bag that drifted down a minute ago--just about anyone would pick that up. Somewhere between those extremes is the fine line between picking it up and leaving it there. The challenge is knowing where that line lies.

If I can bring it with me safely it comes out. I don't have any special bags etc.. Stuffed a small boat hatch under the comber bun once. Just found a 4ft piece of 1/2" PVC a couple of weeks ago.

Obvious trash goes in my BCD pocket or just carry if single item that is too large. Not sure if it is someone's home...I leave it be.

I'll usually pick up small stuff and bigger stuff if I have a means to do so. A while ago I brought up a marine battery but that was a random occurrence as I happened to have a lift bag with me along with my SMB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a semi-mesh bag always stuffed in my BCD pocket that I quite frequently use to pick up junk. Great idea on carrying a plastic baggie as it also would be good for hooks for an extra measure of safety. I pick up anything that doesn't belong unless it's a critter hotel. I haven't found anything yet that is too big that I've had to leave. I always wear dive gloves to dive so my hands are always protected.

Back
Top Bottom