Are we really the minority??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's the rub...I recenty talked to someone about my recent Florida trip and mentioned that I did a bunch of diving and they responded "Oh yeah, I'm a diver! but I haven't gone in about 10 years" (guess then you really AREN'T a diver anymore then!)

Btw...which quarries do you hit? I'm a regular at Bainbridge, PA and occasional at Dutch Springs, I saw you've been to Dutch. I feel lucky because I'm 20 minutes from Bainbridge and about an hour and a half from Dutch...I have a friend (who slips in here from time to time) that has about a 3 hour trip to the nearest diving...THAT would drive me batty!

Millbrook is my most frequently visited quarry...because of distance. I did my certification at Dutch Springs (3 hours away). Lake Rawlings is probably my favorite local quarry (3 hours south) because it's the warmest and has the deepest thermocline. Since I was only certified for a half season this year I didn't get to visit all of them. I want to check out bainbridge and Mt. Storm this year.

Millbrook is my most frequently visited quarry...because of distance. I did my certification at Dutch Springs (3 hours away). Lake Rawlings is probably my favorite local quarry (3 hours south) because it's the warmest and has the deepest thermocline. Since I was only certified for a half season this year I didn't get to visit all of them. I want to check out bainbridge and Mt. Storm this year.

Keep checking here and on Scubatoys forum for updates on when our crew will be hitting Mt. Storm. A bunch of us are going to camp out at least once a month!

Keep checking here and on Scubatoys forum for updates on when our crew will be hitting Mt. Storm. A bunch of us are going to camp out at least once a month!

Yeah I saw that some people are still going (even in a 7 mil!) but I want to have a drysuit when I dive in the winter. The water at Mt. Storm might be warm enough to dive wet, but then it's awful cold when you get out.

Do I have this right?

The weather report for Mt. Storm for Wednesday is sunny and low 60's and the lake's heated.

I was diving with someone last week that only had 4 vaccay dives in 2 years..... her thoughts where when she dives she wants to enjoy it so warm water vaccay it is

quite a nice person (though a bit off with the pixies) and very good on air, sadly she had her boyfriend learning to dive in the tropics also and she already had him convinced that they will never dive in sydney because it wasnt fun and vaccay diving only it will be for him/them

what i didnt like to hear from her was her previous diving adventures that included deep and wreck penetration in some exotic location with no knowledge, training or procedures... just follow the guide and lived to tell the tale.

personally im in awe of the landlocked divers that go hours and hours out of their way to dive! i once dived with a far north canandian SB'er that would drive 4hrs to dive a lake with tree stumps (enchanted forest they called it).... i would be taking up a new hobby if it was that much work

I think I know where you're talking about.
In Southern Ontario (Canada), almost everyone can find a diving spot within 1.5 hours, however they may not be the most exciting.
My closest dive spot is 30min away, and am very willing to drive several hours to see something new.

Great Post. I was wondering about how many people actually dive after certification and how much.
A bunch of us went to Curacao for my cousin's wedding, and 7 of us took the discover scuba; one of which was already an OW diver, but needed a "refresher".
When we got back to Canada, I immediately researched LDSs, found one I liked, and my cousin's husband and his nephew joined me it getting OW certified.

Of our OW class of 6, one was the instructor's kid that was a OWjr diver.
Of that 6, I beleive two haven't dove since their OW dives, and my cousin's husband and his nephew dove with my brother and I twice after that.
I'm sure I'll get them out again, but they have other priorities.

When my brother was certified, he dove avidly for several years, then his favorite dive buddy passed away, and lack of a buddy and organization, he went a while with diving very little.
Now since I got certified, I drag him out everywhere, and we even took our AOW, some specalities together.
We are also taking Rescue Diver in the spring.

I also have a friend that says she is a diver, but has dove maybe 6 times since her certification 13 years ago; 4 of which I beleive were in tropical water on vacation.
I've tried to get her out several times this summer, but she always had an excuse.

Another friend is an AOW diver for many years, with many dives under her belt.
I guess since she went to University, the lack of other divers, studying, and other activities has consumed her.
He first time diving in several years was with me at a quarry, and I think she was quite board. She has 250+ logged dives, many of which were on tropical dive vacations I beleive.

The reason for my babble is that I'm new, and dive when every I can. And when I'm not diving, I reading about it, or thinking about it, or on SB, and I am afraid that the fad will wear off in time, and may become one of those "vacation divers".
I really DON'T want that to happen!

I did my certification at Dutch Springs (3 hours away). Lake Rawlings is probably my favorite local quarry (3 hours south) because it's the warmest and has the deepest thermocline.

What are Dutch Springs and Rawlings like in season? I earned my OW at Milbrook. I've got to tell you ... after four cert dives in pretty limited vis/temp and only a few fish, I wasn't really hooked. All the same, I went back with two of my buddies and ended up diving at 30 ffw with a max of 3 ft vis. It just wasn't "all that" as a new diver. I just didn't get it.

Last year one of those buddies arranged a week-long trip to Cozumel where I did 3 - 4 dives a day, earned AOW and nitrox, got to see spectacular sights, and got to "fly" through the water and enjoy it. WOW! All of a sudden I got it. Granted, 100 ft vis and warm waters were awesome, but getting that glimpse at what diving could really be really got me hooked.

So now Milbrook will be worth it this season (and maybe the other too if they're good sites, too!) I have to wonder how many new divers get certified to try something new and have some fun, but don't "get it" initially and never take the opportunity to.

My interaction with other divers primarily occurs through SB, my local diveshop, and the local scuba meetup.com group. As a result of this I was under the impression that natural progression is to get certified, then go totally dive crazy, spend all your summer weekends at the quarries, and take plenty of dive trips in the winter…or dive all winter if you have a dry suit.

I found out this week that several people at work are certified and many of them dive once or twice a year, and some haven’t been diving in years! Is that common? Do most people get certified just so they can dive once in a while?? I can’t imagine getting introduced to something so amazing and then letting years go by without diving or only diving on occasion. :shakehead:

Are we SBers really the minority??

I think it just takes different types of people; some are more prone to adventure and comfortable being underwater.

I myself got certified so I could go scuba diving in New Zealand during a study abroad trip (leaving Thursday). I was going to do a couple of dives over there and rent all my equipment each time. Since my certification (late Nov 2007), the following have occurred:

- 1 week after PADI OW, I had my AOW
- I have spent $3000 or so on gear within a month (no I did not get talked into it straight out of the gate by my instructor). First I just bought gloves, mask, snorkel. Then I figured I might as well have the rest of my basics with boots, fins, and semidry. Then my friend bought me a dive knife. Then I started doing night diving so I bought a light. Then I wanted to take pictures, so I got a Canon SD800, WP-DC9 underwater housing, YS-60 Strobe (and the HW adapter). Then I finally decided I might as well get my BCD, so I got the Rig 2. After all that, I decided the fact that I never used tables for my dives wasn't smart, so I bought an Oceanic Veo 200. And I wonder why I'm hesitant to log online and check my bank account...
- I switched my classes in New Zealand to an independent study of scuba diving. I now have over 16 days of diving lined up and have been emailing people to set up more.

Some people are just not willing to sacrifice most of their money, time, and (in my case) education, for the thrill of a lifetime. It's all very confusing to me...

hey Retro- I think I have the exact feelings about 'will I keep this thing going in my heart as long as I'd like'. I live in Edmonton Canada. Check out the mud puddles near here on a map. The only real diving in the prov is at Jasper. Ya the same place where everyone keeps there beer cold. So I 'dive' every Wed. night at the local pool with a tech dive club. I am so freaked that I will loose my skills. It is a lot of fun, we clean the pool, then practise every skill imaginable. Even surfacing the signal sausage. Can anyone make fun of that? I am absolutely absorbed with diving. I go to Coz. jan 25 for 3 weeks. I go to sleep drift diving. I am on the boards/forums every night. I'm sick. May need intervention......... kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom