Are these scuba or snorkel fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THESE are snorkelling fins. :D

But seriously, why would an inferior fin be considered ok for snorkelling but not for scuba?

IMG_0795_zpsd1e6fff7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Too many kicks to move forward.

Too many kicks to move forward is a common complaint of split fins. It's actually their benefit, as well. Some divers like peddling in 1st gear, others like peddling in 6th gear. I like 6th gear. I don't like getting my heartrate worked up on a dive, and I certainly don't like kicking a billion times to move. I have strong legs that I'd much prefer to use in less, but harder, fin kicks.

I'm not saying splits are always worse than paddles, but you might want to look at a more "Tech" style fin for your diving if your preference is less kicks. OMS slipstreams are what I dive and love. My wife loves her Jets. If you need ankle weight, Hollis F1s are great.

This is educational,,, I thought snorkle fins were longer than scuba fins and freediving fins longer yet.

The set inquired about by the OP is a low quality set for casual snorkeling by non divers and for that matter, non-snorklers. They look cute and colorful and come with a nice little bag and they are priced like a pool toy, which, of course, they are.

As to "real" fins being open heel only, poppy cock. That is silly. I have myself and I know many divers who have had and still use closed foot or full foot fins. Boat diving does not generally require a hike over rocks and full foot fins can be preferred. Mares has several models that are essentially the same fin in both closed and open heel. And, of course, free divers, generally prefer full foot fins. Full foot fins are often more powerful.

N

Back
Top Bottom