Are the Similan Islands and Surin worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply and info. The Surin Is. look appealing for many reasons, so I think we'll just go and explore for ourselves. Couldn't find many potential snorkeling destinations in SE Asia at that time of the year (NE monsoon). I'm fairly adept at free diving / deeper-water snorkeling too, so that might open up some sites, but I'm going with my sister who doesn't Scuba and just likes to float at the surface.

Thanks for the reply and info. The Surin Is. look appealing for many reasons, so I think we'll just go and explore for ourselves. Couldn't find many potential snorkeling destinations in SE Asia at that time of the year (NE monsoon). I'm fairly adept at free diving / deeper-water snorkeling too, so that might open up some sites, but I'm going with my sister who doesn't Scuba and just likes to float at the surface.
Surin will be a lot quieter than Similans, but Similans will be better snorkeling, both freediving and surface snorkeling.

Why do you say that, stevenl? All the sources I've read say that Surin Is. have superior snorkeling sites. Has the bleaching affected snorkeling sites more at Surin than Similan?

Why do you say that, stevenl? All the sources I've read say that Surin Is. have superior snorkeling sites. Has the bleaching affected snorkeling sites more at Surin than Similan?
Yes, both diving and snorkeling at Similans is at the moment nicer at Similans than at Surin (with the exception of Richelieu Rock in the Surin national park, excellent diving and snorkeling (snorkeling if currents allow)). There is a reason the liveaboard boats that used to go to Surin islands don't do that anymore.

OK, thanks for the info stevenl. Do you know, is it possible to charter or join a boat on a day trip to Richelieu Rock (conditions allowing) from the Surin Is. themselves?

OK, thanks for the info stevenl. Do you know, is it possible to charter or join a boat on a day trip to Richelieu Rock (conditions allowing) from the Surin Is. themselves?
You should be able to charter/join a longtail boat to Richelieu Rock. There are no DC's etc. on the islands, so no tanks available, but snorkeling/freediving should be possible.

You should be able to charter/join a longtail boat to Richelieu Rock. There are no DC's etc. on the islands, so no tanks available, but snorkeling/freediving should be possible.

That's good to know. We'll aim to do this. Hopefully conditions in third week of Feb will be suitable. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom