Are Splits really better for hip,leg,& knee probs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this issue. The few dive shops in my area almost all agree that the split fin technology is best suited for people with hip, leg, knee or cramp problems. I personally have had surgery on both knees and one ankle, and I dive with either Aqualung Blades 2, or Mares Quattros. I have tried almost all of the split fins and I personally feel like I am doing twice the work and going half as far when I am wearing them. I do not have any problems with my Blades 2 or Quattros. I have always wondered why the splits are always recommended for people with these problems, anybody care to offer their opinion????????????????

IMHO...Yes! I was a devout Mares Quattro user, split fins were a fad foisted off on the unsuspecting customer. Until....One of the Instructors I work with got a pair of Apollo Bio fins and harped at me about them for weeks until I tried them. I had already packed gear to go home so just to shut him up I took his pair out for a short surface swim. Not a fair test I assure you. But for the first time since my knee surgery, I felt no pressure, much less pain at all...zip, nada! I bought a pair the next day.

That said, in order to get the full benefit from them, you WILL have to change your kicking style. Kicks from the hips won't work. You fins kicks have to stay within your 'slip stream'. Knees are bent a bit more than we're taught to do and you'll utilize your ankles more...alot more.

I've been in currents strong enough to vibrate your mask with no problems. Very short kicks with lots of up and down ankle action is the secret. Big mondo kicks will leave you struggling and sucking air.

It's been reported by some that you can't maneuver very well with splits. Yes you can. Flutter kicks, frog kicks, backing up...it is possible with a bit of practice.

Better air consumption has been reported by many. I only know personally that Beast's AC improved about 20% and mine a bit lower.

Now the cons....you can't get the initial big thrust like you can with blade fins. For example, deep water exits....with blades, just a couple of strong kicks and you plop up on the dive platform, pool edge, whatever. With splits, you need to go a bit deeper and kick those short strokes like hell to do it. You just have to remember short and fast instead of big and powerful.

I also have a pair of Atomic Splits. They have stiff battens in the center instead of the softer more flexible rubber of the Bios. This makes them stiffer, a bit more strain on your knees and legs. I use them mainly for OW classes with students because 1) if I need to make a mad grab for an student, I can. and 2) thos battens are bright yellow and students can see me in low-viz water.

I'll never go back to blade fins.

If you aren't in a hurry, you're more than welcome to meet us at Lake Travis and you can try them both.

I have a pair of the TUSA Xoom splits which I like. If we get the PK thing put together, you are more than welcome to give them a try.

And my tekkie LDS has good things to say about the Atomic splits. He and one of the other cavers I respect have used them on several cave dives in Mexico and say good things about their ability to be useful on tek dives.

I have a pair of Apollo Bio fins and love them.

I have almost no internal structrues left in my knees; no ACL or PCL in either knee, half a meniscus gone in one, and a damaged meniscus in the other. I also have slightly limited hip rotation -- (three pins in one hip) ---

When I first tried snorkeling and diving, I used whatever was available... anything on the rental shelf. Then, I had an opportunity to try out split fins, and knew that I REALLY liked them. When I got ready to buy gear, I was able to find a great price on some of the items which allowed me to afford the splits... All was well.

Then, my hubby and I were diving, and he wanted to try them. So I swapped with him -- taking his Mares Quattros. (btw, I am a stronger swimmer and diver than he is -- though he has none of the orthopedic issues that I have.) When we came up from that dive, I was sputtering and cursing at those damn Quattros, and he was lovingly fondling my Apollo Bios.

Our next purchase was a second pair of Bios.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used pair of Mares Quattros?

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom