Are specialty courses practical after aow certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Specialties. The only "must have" is of course Nitrox.

As others have stated speciality courses are only as good as the instructor.

I chose a Drysuit course, purely because I had no mentors locally who could teach me the basics (Not because I needed the card as I'd just brought a D/S. I found this course invaluable for the basic information, and skills practice. But it was in reality nothing more that a beginners guide to get you started. My point is, Some course can be good if you have no other way of learning from others with that experience.

On the much maligned PADI Boat diver speciality there is an option module

"VII. Basic Seamanship and Small Boat Handling (optional module intended to be personalized for local boating situations)"

The suggested topics (tailored to local conditions are as follows:

A. Local boating laws and regulations
B. Basic rules of the road
C. Basic seamanship.
D. Basic anchoring techniques
E. Basic boating navigation
F. Basic piloting
G. Tides and currents
H. Basic guides to boating safety.

Items D through G in my opinion should be part of the DM course. My point here being stand out as a DM (or as an instructor) you need additional skills, Boats is one, equipment servicing is another. These aren't available as speciality courses, but are one's people should seek out
Items A-G (or D-G as you mentioned) suggest there could be two types of DM certifications. One for assisting courses and one for doing charters. Plus an overall one for both. Most of the DMs at our shop (including myself in the past) only assist, so other than tide/currents (not much to learn here really) all the boat stuff would be good to know but unnecessary.

I have a few different specialties and I am a new diver. I started diving a little over six months ago and have logged almost 50 dives (yeah it's low). I logged dives with dive ops, and I took multiple specialty classes. I took specialties to have "instructors" point out my bad habits and teach me a thing or two. As far as knowledge goes you can learn just about all you want to know from this site and google. I took specialties specifically to have an instructor tell me I suck in this or that aspect of diving. I did it for skill development, not a piece of plastic. I also am part of the camp that thinks AOW doesn't mean advanced in the perspective of advanced skill, but that you have had additional training and support beyond the "basic" course. The AOW course does nothing but provide supervised dives that try to introduce a person into different aspects of diving.....so that they find an interest and keep diving. This doesn't make you "advanced" ( people's feelings get hurt when talking about AOW, on both sides of the fence. ). The bottom line is your expectations from a specialty course. Most of the specialty class videos can be seen on YouTube. Watch a few maybe take some of the certifications. But that piece of plastic doesn't mean ****. Your personal skill and knowledge is what matters.

A couple useful ones off the top of my head are drysuit, DPV and ice. Otherwise, likely being a OW diver is enough as you apply your skills with confidence in various situations.
I seem to be very confused. The OP who posed the question is in the Philippines. How exactly would drysuit, DPV and ice help him?

I seem to be very confused. The OP who posed the question is in the Philippines. How exactly would drysuit, DPV and ice help him?

For when he comes to Canada to discover some of the best diving in the world! Wouldn't you agree?

Cheers,
Cameron

If I recall correctly, you will be considered a "professional" when you pass your DM course. I looked long and hard at becoming a DM and rejected it due to potential liability issues. In the real estate world, once a professional, always a professional. I just didn't want an eager young attorney looking to me for another's mistake. You also need to consider the cost of insurance while maintaining your DM status.

In this day and age...unless you were going to be active and maintain insurance coverage, I would take the liability aspect VERY seriously. In PI / WD cases, plaintiff attorneys tend to include anyone and everyone involved....though you may be totally absolved of any culpability, you would have to defend yourself to get to that point....if you were a passenger, just diving, I suppose your DM insurance would provide representation, if you were included in the suit as a "professional"...if not, it could cost you...even if it was just getting representation to be deposed....Just the musings of an attorney's spouse.....I may be hyper-aware of the possibilities, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom