Are specialty courses practical after aow certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onepio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! Are specialty courses practical even after getting an advanved open water certification? Most resorts let you do specialty dives (night dives, deep dives,) as long as your certification is advanced anyway. And what are the essential specialty dives to learn, and hopefully be credited if I choose to pursuit a DM course? Thanks in advance for your insights!

It really depends on the instructor and your end goals. If all you want is a card, then sure. If you want more knowledge, then there's here and the certs. If you just want to do the dives, then no. AOW is about as far as you need to go for rec diving.

Thanks! But if ever i choose to go further, let's say being a divemaster. Aside from recue, which specialties are required or useful in becoming a DM?

No, I wouldn't find more specialities necessarily helpful as DM prep.
Thanks! So i'll just get a rescue diver specialty on my next dive vacation.

Just considering, it would be a dream job.
Do some real research. Most DMs don't make a living wage. You need to be an instructor or higher to support yourself, much less a family.

Do some real research. Most DMs don't make a living wage. You need to be an instructor or higher to support yourself, much less a family.
I figured that out aswell. Will still be keeping my day job if ever i pursuit DM course. Atleast I can earn abit while on vacation or atleast dive for free. Anyway thank you for your insight. Very much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom