Are single tanks used for wreck penetration? (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if alot of guys use them in the US? If you are filling your own tanks whose to stop you?

What brand of manifold are you using?

Two manifold models...

One with 3/4-14 threads and burst disks for North America
One with M25 threads and no burst disks for Europe

Burst disks in the USA are a DOT requirement I believe. Not so in parts of Europe.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Burst disks in the USA are a DOT requirement

Which shouldn't apply to individuals who aren't using the tanks for interstate commerce.

If I read the original question correctly, it was stated that the ballistic nylon covering of the wing would only be required if conducting penatrations. I would still want the tough outer shell since the most wear and tear on a wing will occur out of the water. This way when I get wet there is a better chance I won't have a leak.

Depends on depth, the wreck itself, SAC rate, experience with your rig, experience with your diving partner, etc. etc. I've penetrated wrecks at about 150' on high pressure singles, but I'm very small & use very little gas. I've also penetrated wrecks with double LP 80's (remember, I'm small-- as in 5'3", & light weight).

The bottom line: Don't dive outside your limits.

I honestly hate to think that, as an instructor, you are presenting this to your students.
So you are small with a low SAC rate.
What would you do, inside of a wreck, at 150ft, if your 1st stage fails?
For that matter, what would you do in open water at 150ft if your 1st stage fails?
You will not likely survive a CESA from that depth, and certainly would not be able to make it out of a wreck and THEN CESA.

PLEASE.... do not recommend this type of diving on anything less than doubles with an isolator valve (and proper training to use them).

BTW: You do realize that you just resurrected a thread that has been dead and buried since December of 2003?

Back
Top Bottom