Are shore dives legal on Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume you consider yourself to be a reasonable person, if so you must surely concede that trying to prove that something doesn't exist is virtually impossible. All I'm saying is that every source of the rule so far comes from a commercial business engaged in diving. I've seen no evidence that the park authorities have tried to make this rule known to the general public.

Play along for a moment. If authorities passed out literature to all taxis that said "all passengers must <whatever>" and also put that in their taxi permits, but passed out this literature to no one else, would it be unreasonable to think that maybe this rule applies just to passengers in taxis and not to passengers in private vehicles?

Does anyone have a map showing the boundaries of the Marine Park?

It seems to me that you will not be convinced of the rules or the boundries unless you see for yourself. I would respectfully suggest that rather than argueing the point with members of this board, that you do your own research and stop asking everyone else to do it for you.

It seems to me that you will not be convinced of the rules or the boundries unless you see for yourself. I would respectfully suggest that rather than argueing the point with members of this board, that you do your own research and stop asking everyone else to do it for you.

I would respectfully suggest you jump off a cliff.

Whatever; it's not a rule that I will likely ever run into outside of an occasional dive at Chankanaab, and you have to use a guide there or you don't get tanks. I understand your suspicion though I do not share it. I think it's unlikely that the dive ops would fabricate and propagate a lie about it because it doesn't affect enough divers to have any appreciable impact on their business. Also, the officials of the Marine Park and the dive ops are very much in bed with one another; it seems to me a very reasonable assumption to make that if the dive ops say that there is such a rule, then there is one.

But IIRC, Christi provided contact information to the Marine Park Authority (or whatever it is called) and said that the administrator speaks perfect English. Why not call him up and ask him? In this case it would be very easy to prove that something does not exist, if indeed that is the case.

If I said suspicion that's a little harsher than intended. I just like to get information straight from a verifiable source rather than third parties, even if in this case the third party can be trusted. I never said anyone was fabricating or lying.

Why do you always get so defensive? You always freak out anytime something you say is questioned and not taken as gospel. I didn't accuse you of anything,

I would respectfully suggest you jump off a cliff.

If I said suspicion that's a little harsher than intended. I just like to get information straight from a verifiable source rather than third parties, even if in this case the third party can be trusted. I never said anyone was fabricating or lying.

Wow! Talk about defensive... I wasn't attacking you, it's too bad you took it that way.
I suggested that you do your own research if you won't take the word of people who work there or have been there and have been quoted the rule on numerous occassions. If you want to know the information badly enough, I'm sure you can find it on your own. If you only care enough to have other people do your leg work for you, then maybe you should take them at their word.

Whatever. Nobody offered their word on the park boundaries to accept or reject.

If you have some actual information on the subject please share, but I don't need someone with a dozen posts giving me forum posting advice.

Why do you always get so defensive? You always freak out anytime something you say is questioned and not taken as gospel. I didn't accuse you of anything, I said I'm not convinced that your interpretation of the rules (everything is interpreted, that's why there are courts... even in Mexico) is correct, and quite frankly it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it or pull rank or whatever, I'll need to see a verifiable independent source to be convinced.

You pointed to the park's website homepage, in Spanish. That's like me saying that divers in Texas must have health insurance then pointing to texas.gov and saying there you go. Are you saying you know for a fact this rule about diving with a guide is in that website? Have you actually seen it there? Can you point to the specific page? I know a little Spanish and know many who are fluent but trying to search for something that may not exist is pointless.

It just seems odd that if the park is concerned about this rule that they tell all the dive shops but make no effort to tell anyone else. It would be like having no speed limit signs on the roads, no info on speed limits given to tourist info sites or hotels, and making no effort to make tourists aware of speed limits. Then giving the speed limits just to the taxi drivers and expecting the tourists who rent cars to know and abide by the speed limits. If what you say is indeed true, then the park service is doing the most pisspoor job imaginable. The most important thing to do in any conservation effort is to GET THE WORD OUT.

As for shore diving, a diver that is diving from shore on their own is a diver that is not on a charter boat paying a dive op. So you DO have a vested interest that people not shore dive. Whether you ACT on that interest or not is another matter. I never said you did. Are you capable of comprehending the difference between having a financial incentive to support/oppose something and actually supporting/opposing it?

Most of your post doesn't warrant a response. You chose to interpret my post as defensive....and it was not. The only person that seems to be freaking out here is you. I'm perfectly fine, as I was this morning when I posted the information that I know to be fact.

However, yes, I know for a fact that this rule exists. Have I seen it in writing in the marine park literature? Yes I have in my Marine Park permit for my boats...that is not a document that is online. It is also clearly stated and was discussed during my five day marine park course that I took seven years ago and recently renewed. Whether this rule is actively or consistently enforced is an entirely different issue.

If my word doesn't convince you, then perhaps you should do your own research to find the information you seek. I have provided you with my sources as well as the information to verify for yourself, but I am not obligated to do anything more than that. You either believe me or you don't.

Why haven't they made this known to the hotels, etc.? I guess you would have to ask the hotels or marine park about that...because as far as I know and have observed, every hotel that is within marine park boundaries does provide this information. Additionally, at every public beach club and hotel beach within park boundaries, you will see a marine park sign indicating that you are within marine park boundaries. I believe it also indicates that there is a fee, but honestly...I haven't read the signs in too long to remember what they say exactly.

I can also tell you that I regularly attend marine park meetings and have been a volunteer for the marine park for six years, although not as active this past year due to my heavy workload. (reef clean-ups, damage studies after the hurricanes, fish counts, etc.)

As far as your offensive remarks regarding my comprehension or lack thereof regarding financial incentives, that was just uncalled for and doesn't justify a response.

The only complaint I have ever had about Christi is that she is too honest and too much by the rules. To question someone's honesty and integrity because you are unwilling to research a topic yourself is unacceptable. To question someone's post because they have not made multiple posts is unacceptable. I hope reefhound is not a native Texan and was raised somewhere else where such behavior is tolerated instead of corrected. Back to lurking. crossclamp

Whatever. Nobody offered their word on the park boundaries to accept or reject.

If you have some actual information on the subject please share, but I don't need someone with a dozen posts giving me forum posting advice.

Others have given you their "word" on the park rules that you have decided to reject, Christi and ggun to name two. Christi even gave a link to the park rules in the other thread where this was brought up. But because you do not speak or read spanish and are therefore incapable of reading the information for yourself, you dismiss it as evidence.

And now you are asking me to give you information on the subject. Like you would believe anything someone with a dozen posts would have to say anyway.

Also, my post count is irrelevent. If you read my posts carefully, you will see that I gave you no such advice on how to post in a forum.

Yes folks..you do need a DM in the park.Personally I'm unclear about shore dives at the hotels but if you were to charter your own boat and not have a Mexican National as a DM you do risk big trouble if caught.
There was a time,up to around 2001 or so where any certified DM could work the boat. On one of my first trips to Coz in the 90's I ran into a guy from my city up in Canada that was staying at the same hotel as me, told me what a great time he had getting a nearly free vacations (for several months)while DMing for one of the larger Dive ops on the island over several years.

This is a policy that is in effect in several countries from what I've heard and really has to do with the immigration laws.

So,like others have said,do your shore dives out of the park...there are some decent ones to do day and night.Le Cebia used to be a fave night dive of mine as well as the start of a great shore drift dive down to Villa Blanca.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom