Are SCR's the RHSC of the Rebreather World?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added my response to this to the comparison thread so as to help this thread stay on topic.
g

Can you point me to some hard data that indicates diver death caused by a failure of a rebreather? I know there are a couple of rather definate ones but you have to agree a vast majority of CCR failures were the result of the divers themselves, either in the pre-dive or properly responding to dangerous conditions. The safety issue between eCCR and mCCR has more to do with the mindset of the user than equipment itself.

In the final analysis of nearly every rebreather accident it is found that the fatalities are happening on eCCR's , nearly exclusively.

deaths on mCCR's=1
deaths on eCCR's= 150 ish

Despite increasing popularity of mCCR's, this ratio does not seem to be budging one bit.

g

Your count is probably a bit off.. considering there have been at least 5 deaths on the voyager and 2 on the submatix.. The reports don't specify if they were in mccr or scr mode, but judging by the experience level and depths involved they were probably mCCR mode..

also the count you cite 150ish includes alot of scrs and unknowns.. a quick review shows at least 26 deaths on scrs

Hello Windwalker, just saw this thread and thought I'd put in my 2c.

As somebody who did go from OC to SCR and then to CCR, I think that if rebreathers are for you, don't bother with SCR, unless you are going the RB80 route, which requires a commitment beyond many people's recreational dive ambitions and is a whole seperate discussion.

As for the rest of it, in my experience the Drager SCRs are just as much work as setting up most CCRs, maybe more. And CMF SCR units don't give you nearly the gas efficeincy as a CCR and they still vent gas about every other breath when set up to spec. Then there's the fact that not every place has nitrox but even the most remote places on earth have access to O2. In short, if you plan to travel and enjoy fish watching and/or max bottom time, there's virtually no reason to consider the CMF SCRs over a CCR.

As for M vs E CCR, just remember that in terms of relability, simple is almost always better and that extends to all sectors of RB design. There are more and less complicated ECCRs and there are more and less complicated MCCRs, each has it's particular advantages and the more time you spend comparing the different designs, the more you will understand the different design ideas and their optimal applications. You will also come to understand that the weak point of all CCRs is the O2 sensors they rely on and how best to make sure you know they are doing what they're supposed to.

And just to be clear, the only reaason I went to SCR before CCR is that there were no CCRs being offered for sale in the US when I switched to RB. Lucky for you, there are many more options now. Continue doing your homework, it should be enjoyable as most learning is when you are properly motivated, and I practically guarantee you won't regret it if you really love diving. My CCR is the best big purchase I've made in the last 10 years, I've never experienced an once of buyers remorse, which is unusual for me. Good luck to you, -Andy

Back
Top Bottom