Are reef hooks allowed in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also_anon_dc

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Indonesia liveaboard trip planned for 2023 (Forgotten Islands/Banda Sea). I'd like to get my deep diver certification and practice with a reef hook and deploying an SMB in current beforehand. I was thinking Cozumel would be the perfect place to try this but I can't get confirmation from any of the 3 dive shops I've emailed to ask. Does anyone know if using a reef hook is allowed in the Cozumel Marine park? If it's not, any other recommendations where I can practice using one? I've emailed Dressel (they didn't know) and Pro Dive International (no response) and Dive Paradise (no response but it's only been one day).

They are not allowed. Basically if you hear the word "park" anywhere you can guess no gloves or hooks.

No. Not wanting any contact with the reefs is also the stated reason why both dive knives and gloves are prohibited in the Marine Park. EDIT: You can certainly get some practice deploying a DSMB in currents in Cozumel.

I have an Indonesia liveaboard trip planned for 2023 (Forgotten Islands/Banda Sea). I'd like to get my deep diver certification and practice with a reef hook and deploying an SMB in current beforehand. I was thinking Cozumel would be the perfect place to try this but I can't get confirmation from any of the 3 dive shops I've emailed to ask. Does anyone know if using a reef hook is allowed in the Cozumel Marine park? If it's not, any other recommendations where I can practice using one? I've emailed Dressel (they didn't know) and Pro Dive International (no response) and Dive Paradise (no response but it's only been one day).
I'm not sure what a reef hook is, but most of the dive sites are in a national park where divers are not allowed to touch the reef. Even outside the park it's considered bad form to contact the reef in any way.

I suspected as such. Thanks all! Anyone have a recommendation of someplace I can practice with one before my trip? I'm on the East Coast of the US so Caribbean would be easiest.

Gloves, knives and hooks and those poker sticks are not allowed. Now, do the rules get enforced, sometimes yes and sometimes no. But you are a guest in another country and those are the rules (laws?) and for good reason. If everybody stuck a hook in the reef there would be no reef.

I think they are bad form just about everywhere. I have seen them used on wrecks along the Gold Coast of Florida (Jupiter to Miami) and I suppose you could hook in on the rock here or there but still------.

James

Gloves, knives and hooks and those poker sticks are not allowed. Now, do the rules get enforced, sometimes yes and sometimes no. But you are a guest in another country and those are the rules (laws?) and for good reason. If everybody stuck a hook in the reef there would be no reef.

I think they are bad form just about everywhere. I have seen them used on wrecks along the Gold Coast of Florida (Jupiter to Miami) and I suppose you could hook in on the rock here or there but still------.

James
I read that they were used frequently in Indonesia and Maldives. Is that not true? Even on Scuba Board people talk about using them in Indonesia. See this thread.

James
I really don't know, but maybe you could use a reef hook on the C-53 wreck dive.

I read that they were used frequently in Indonesia and Maldives. Is that not true? Even on Scuba Board people talk about using them in Indonesia. See this thread.
I have never been there to know that answer yet. But they are frowned upon even where "legal" as they cause damage to the reef. Just because other divers hook the reef does not make it okay to do so, it just means you are doing the same damage and contributing to the decline as they are. This thread will likely go downhill fast with all the reef hookers chiming in on me, I have provided my opinion and a definite answer for Cozumel and suggested a place you might practice. And I will now bow out. :)

James

Just because other divers hook the reef does not make it okay to do so, it just means you are doing the same damage and contributing to the decline as they are.
That is true! I had assumed reef hooks were used during group dives and everyone had to use one to stay together but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks for your perspective- I certainly don't mean to start controversy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom